Grimaldi

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:52 AM

My lunarsketch last month was one of many frustrations, but yesterday I rewon the joy of sketching the Moon. Inside Grimaldi there wasn't much to see (very dark with some small albedo differences), but the rim was full of details (to many to sketch).
I started first a sketch on white paper (I had never tried that), but after 30 minutes of disaster I changed to black paper (grey paper is for the moment out of stock). Most features are in reality more subtile, I overcontrasted them (due to my limiting technic).
This is the scope-sketch. I was happy with the result so I didn't dare to "make it up" inside, afraid to make it worse. Hope you like it.

16/02/2011, 19.45-21.15 UT, 8 cm refractor @ x158, 13.7 lunar days, 96.8% illumination, alt. 46°

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:55 AM

After 30 minutes of disaster, my sketch is complete. :)

You use an interesting style, almost modern art. It makes for an interesting sketch with a unique beauty.

#3 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

Dear Jef, I like that sketch very much. Fine subtle shadings of gray, three dimensional appearance - that is what a good moon sketch needs.

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Jef,

Very nice sketch :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

Jef,

An excellent observation of Grimaldi. You have recorded the dark crater floor and environs very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#6 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

You use an interesting style, almost modern art.

You are not the first to mention it, but it is not the intention. It is rather a spin-off of my limited sketching technic.

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

Thanks all for the nice words!

@ Uwe: seeing your fine sketches on white paper I tried it myself, but I think it is not my cup of tea...

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Jef,

Very impressive sketch. I think it is your best lunar sketch posted here. It is filled with beautiful detail and is easily recognizable as Grimaldi.
Work this media choice for a while and you will learn to love it.

Frank :)

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Jef

Very Impressive sketch work! :bow: :bow: :bow:
I agree with others as I have mentioned before that you have developed a style more likened to modern art and I for one identify with it whole-heartedly. *I just reread your technical info about the paper that you used. I see you switched to black out of force of circumstance of being out of grey. Is this the fist time that you used black pastel paper? Also, I have forgotten now; are you using 9" X 12" Artagain tablet size? Are you using only one pastel or Conte crayon? It is admirable if this is your technique as I see that you employ cross-hatching to render differing levels of light. Thanks for any info that you may add.

I have finally returned to sketching after a 5 month sabbatical. Ironically I also rendered a sketch of Grimaldi as I accidentally observed it in the ethereal light of the terminator the other night while showing others in the telescope at a public gathering, so it is near completion and I will post it soon as I add my usual triptych of other multiple images into one.

Keep up the great sketch work. This one of Grimaldi by you should at least go to the ASOD's archives!

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery
DP Review - Higher Resolution and Larger Images of Mark Seibolds Art and Photography - 4 Pages of 20 Images Ea Pg

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

Jef,

That's a sketch to be proud of. :) Looking at the Moon with low power, one doesn't realize that the dark oval of Grimaldi has so much detail around the rim.

I'm still struggling with the black paper/conte' media, too but like Frank indicated, the more you use it the easier it will be.

#11 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Very nice work.

#12 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Mark, Michael and Rutilus, thanks a lot!

#13 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Is this the fist time that you used black pastel paper? Also, I have forgotten now; are you using 9" X 12" Artagain tablet size? Are you using only one pastel or Conte crayon?

I made the sketch on a black A4-paper (almost 9"x12"). For posting I reduced the scale.
I used a white Conté (number 630) and a black Conté (Pierre Noirre 1710 HB) for drawing small shadows. The white Conté is good for drawing, but not good for blending (like you can see on the sketch). Next time I will try my white Derwent Pastel for greater surfaces (like inside the crater). It blends more easy.

Mark, I'm very curisious about your Grimaldi. Great you started sketching again!

And about the ASOD... I like to send sketches that I'm 100% happy with. So for the moment no entry for ASOD.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics