Photo

Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#51 SteveC

SteveC

Soyuz

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

:D

Can't be that much better than my ZAO! :smirk:

I wish I could locate the article that I found the other day on this subject...
The author judged the contrast, resolution, and snap to focus with the Zeiss Mono to be clearly superior to that of a ZAO. He did not believe it himself at first, but after repeated assessments, he arrived at the same conclusion.
The Mono costs up to twice as much as a ZAO. Is the incremental but undeniable improvement in performance worth the additional outlay?
Well, maybe.
If only the best will do, and if you have the bucks, and if you have great vision, and if you have a killer triplet, and if you have great skies, etc, etc, then yes, this may be THE EP for you... ;)

Was the Zeiss mono compared to the ZAO I or II? I owned the ZAO I set and sold it when I purchased the ZAO IIs.

Perhaps I'm simply not blessed with great skies, but to date, my 6mm Zeiss mono, 6mm ZAO II, 5.1mm Pentax XO, 6mm Supermono, and 5.9mm ball have all deliverered the same view of Jupiter. I suspect that an observer would have to have exceptional skies to determine a definitive winner in the contrast & resolution department. The prices these Zeiss monos are fetching these days seems to be excessively high given the minimal increase in contrast and resolution, if any, these EPs offer under normal skies.

If I had to do all over again, I wouldn't have spent bucks on the Zeiss 6mm & 10mm monos a few years ago. I'm still waiting for them to show their value with my skies.

To be fair about the 10mm Zeiss mono, I haven't compared it that often against other brands, since I've been using 4mm-7mm EPs for the past year when viewing planets.

#52 Abbe

Abbe

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hi Steve,

I really believe that when you start to compare good optics you are talking about degrees of subtleness. In your case you are comparing some of the best eyepieces in the world. I would not expect you to see much of a differece even if you have great vision, great telescope optics, and that one night of perfect seeing. The hardest thing to get is that night of perfect seeing! As far as price is concerned that is just a personal decision.

George :cool:

#53 Ed Kessler

Ed Kessler

Apollo

• Loc: Millersburg, PA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

Well, since I really can't afford the Monos, I guess I'm just stuck with my ZAOs and ZAO IIs.
:bawling: :smirk: :grin: :lol:

#54 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

just for the record - ZAO -> Zeiss Abbe Orthro?

#55 Abbe

Abbe

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi Ed,

I have much more expensive eyepieces but one of my favorite eyepieces is a University volcano top Abbe Ortho. I use them a lot. They are not in the same class as the Zeiss Orthos, but they make me happy. That is the real bottom line.

George :)
P.S. I am also cheap. :roflmao:

#56 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

Well, since I really can't afford the Monos, I guess I'm just stuck with my ZAOs and ZAO IIs.

Poor Ed. :nonono:

#57 TPMack

TPMack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

I have much more expensive eyepieces but one of my favorite eyepieces is a University volcano top Abbe Ortho. I use them a lot. They are not in the same class as the Zeiss Orthos, but they make me happy. That is the real bottom line.

DITTO!!

#58 Ed Kessler

Ed Kessler

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

I'm sure you guys know that I was being facetious. My most used eyepiece right now anyway is my Leica Zoom. It gets used almost daily for birdwatching and for astronomy.

It's great to have so many choices.

Back to the interesting thread about Monocentrics . . . . .

#59 TPMack

TPMack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

Ed,
Do you have the Leica aspheric zoom? I have never seen one but they are suppose to be quite good.

Tom

#60 Ed Kessler

Ed Kessler

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Ed,
Do you have the Leica aspheric zoom? I have never seen one but they are suppose to be quite good.

Tom

No, I have the earlier edition which, in my estimation, is quite good.

#61 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

just for the record - ZAO -> Zeiss Abbe Orthro?

Yes.

#62 Ed Kessler

Ed Kessler

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

Anyone care to guess why the TMB Supermonos are not as good as the Zeiss Monocentrics?

glass?
polish?
coatings?
QC?

From all accounts the TMBs came close but I wonder what makes the difference?

#63 leonard

leonard

Viking 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hi Ed ,

>>>>>>>>Anyone care to guess why the TMB Supermonos are not as good as the Zeiss Monocentrics?<<<<<<<

Are you really , really sure ?
:gotpopcorn:

Leonard

#64 SteveC

SteveC

Soyuz

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

I'm not sure life is worth living under those conditions. ;)

#65 SteveC

SteveC

Soyuz

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hi Steve,

I really believe that when you start to compare good optics you are talking about degrees of subtleness. In your case you are comparing some of the best eyepieces in the world. I would not expect you to see much of a differece even if you have great vision, great telescope optics, and that one night of perfect seeing. The hardest thing to get is that night of perfect seeing! As far as price is concerned that is just a personal decision.

George :cool:

Hi George,

I noticed some subtle differences on Mars with my ball EP, and perhaps on Jupiter, I'm not sure.

#66 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Anyone care to guess why the TMB Supermonos are not as good as the Zeiss Monocentrics?

glass?
polish?
coatings?
QC?

From all accounts the TMBs came close but I wonder what makes the difference?

Someone who knows what to look for should examine the surfaces of each brand with a microscope.

#67 Levine

Levine

Apollo

• Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" W

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

The just-ended Monocentric 10mm auction on German E-Bay received a final bid of over $1100 today.

This was the second 10-M offered in a week ($1000 euros / $1400).

There was a 16-M listed briefly last week as well. It quickly went for close to $1000.

:tonofbricks: :bigshock: :jawdrop: :sumo:

#68 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well if it makes you feel any better, 95% of the time, due to seeing conditions alone you would never be able to tell the difference if there was any between this expensive peephole and an XW.

#69 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

That 10mm just sold on Ebay Germany looked a very nice example.

Mike

#70 Levine

Levine

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Welcome back, everyone!

Does anyone know if there is any perceivable difference in performance between the late model Monos, and the older, post-War, cupped versions?

Any new pictures?

:cool:

#71 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Nice! Two sets of those sold on Amart for $1500 apiece! Think I'll stick with my new 5 XO and pick up a longer FL ZOA at some point. I do a lot of lunar and a well corrected 40*> FOV is a major plus. As to XWs my 7 is not blown away be the XO by any means. David

#72 Levine

Levine

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Nice! Two sets of those sold on Amart for $1500 apiece!

Do you have a link?

:grin:

#73 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

It was a couple of weeks ago, I just checked Amart and they're no longer listed. $1600 was the price was for individual eyepieces not per set. Makes me feel down right frugal what with only paying $499 for the XO! David

#74 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

It was a couple of weeks ago, I just checked Amart and they're no longer listed. $1600 was the price was for individual eyepieces not per set.

Dave, I believe those Mono's were only listed on CN (but could be wrong). Apparently the seller (who was quite active in the classifieds as well as Forums) didn't initially know the value of them and when he found out, he created an Auction/bidding war where he would accept an offer (and take payment) until someone else offered more $$$. Then the outbid buyer was refunded.

This of course infuriated several people and he was left negative feedback. His profile no longer exists so he either deleted It or It was deleted for him due to his activities.

Mike

#75 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

I think you're right as to where they were listed. $1600 seemed a bit over the top but it still looks like they're topping ZOA 2s price wise. David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics