Weird Polar Axis Scope Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tothepond

tothepond

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hey everyone, I got a big problem. I've been dealing with a problem with my polar axis scope where the point opposide to where I look through is somehow blocked. If you can tell from one of my images, the mount looks fine on the side but on closer examination there is this weird problem. Now I don't want to break it somehow so i haven't really been messing with it that much. Please help!

#2 tothepond

tothepond

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

sorry the site won't let me add any pictures but it looks like something that needs to be turned, has anyone else had this problem before?

#3 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

Try twisting the declination axis. Often there is only a limited range over which the polar scope can be used, as it looks through a holes in the declination shaft. This is true of my Meade LXD75 - it only works with the telescope pointed East-West (or West-East)

Hope that helps.

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

The EQ6 and Orion Atlas also come with this "feature". The OTA must be pointed off in DEC more than 30 degrees to open the light path for the polar scope. On these scopes, many of us loosen the top plate and orient it so that the optical path for the polar scope is open when the OTA is pointed north.

#5 tothepond

tothepond

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for the advice. It was actually stuck but I eventually loosened the optical viewpoint.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics