CGE power connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Make-it Better

Make-it Better

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Does anyone know for certain if the CGE power connection is "center positive" or "center negative"?

Thanks in advance,
Roy

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

Absolutely center positive, and the dimensions are 2.1 x 5.5mm

#3 Make-it Better

Make-it Better

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

Thank you very much Mark.

Roy

#4 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

Thank you for the exact info, Mark. I presumed that the same connector was also used to power the Celestron CG-5 Advanced series mount, and it is.

I looked for that size connector on the Radio Shack website and saw it's an enercell size 'M' Adaptaplug Tip (273-344). With their Car Power Adapter (270-048) it works a treat on the CG-5. With your exact dimensions, I knew precisely what to look for.

I couldn't get the stock DC power cable to work at all with a 7 Ah 12V power pack I picked up from Walmart. Naturally, I thought it was a problem with that cheap power pack, but the included cable didn't work with my (not cheap) car power outlet, either. The CG-5 worked perfectly with a Celestron AC adapter, so I knew it wasn't a problem with the mount itself. Replacing the Celestron 12V cord with the combo from RS, the CG-5 works well.

After successfully trying the replacement DC adapter, I measured the resistance of the supplied adapter... 6 Ohms on the positive lead and 5 Ohms on the negative! Yikes! No wonder it didn't work! The new RS plug cord and tip measures much less than one Ohm on each side.

I just noticed that the Adapter packaging has a sticker on it that says that one Adaptaplug Tip is included in the $12.99 price... neither I nor the clerk noticed this in the store. Now to see if I can get my $6.99 retail for the 'M' Tip back.

[Edit] They cheerfully refunded the $6.99 plus tax today.

#5 Arbacia

Arbacia

Apollo

• Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Center +

If inverted, simply doesn't work. No damage as it is protected.

Check the volts of the power suply. Some 12v power suply are not 12v output but 15-16v for charging 12v batteries.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics