CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGE power connection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Make-it Better

Make-it Better

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Does anyone know for certain if the CGE power connection is "center positive" or "center negative"?

Thanks in advance,
Roy

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

Absolutely center positive, and the dimensions are 2.1 x 5.5mm

#3 Make-it Better

Make-it Better

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

Thank you very much Mark.

Roy

#4 SkipW

SkipW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

Thank you for the exact info, Mark. I presumed that the same connector was also used to power the Celestron CG-5 Advanced series mount, and it is.

I looked for that size connector on the Radio Shack website and saw it's an enercell size 'M' Adaptaplug Tip (273-344). With their Car Power Adapter (270-048) it works a treat on the CG-5. With your exact dimensions, I knew precisely what to look for.

I couldn't get the stock DC power cable to work at all with a 7 Ah 12V power pack I picked up from Walmart. Naturally, I thought it was a problem with that cheap power pack, but the included cable didn't work with my (not cheap) car power outlet, either. The CG-5 worked perfectly with a Celestron AC adapter, so I knew it wasn't a problem with the mount itself. Replacing the Celestron 12V cord with the combo from RS, the CG-5 works well.

After successfully trying the replacement DC adapter, I measured the resistance of the supplied adapter... 6 Ohms on the positive lead and 5 Ohms on the negative! Yikes! No wonder it didn't work! The new RS plug cord and tip measures much less than one Ohm on each side.

I just noticed that the Adapter packaging has a sticker on it that says that one Adaptaplug Tip is included in the $12.99 price... neither I nor the clerk noticed this in the store. Now to see if I can get my $6.99 retail for the 'M' Tip back.

[Edit] They cheerfully refunded the $6.99 plus tax today.

#5 Arbacia

Arbacia

Apollo

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Center +

If inverted, simply doesn't work. No damage as it is protected.

Check the volts of the power suply. Some 12v power suply are not 12v output but 15-16v for charging 12v batteries.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics