Using Giro-type AZ mounts on a wedge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 atelierbks

atelierbks

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Marsal, France & Grahamstown, S. Africa

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:03 AM

I'm thinking of mounting my Giro 3 on an AstroTrac ATTW3100 wedge (http://www.teleskop-express.de). Anyone have thoughts whether flat-bearing-surface AZ heads of the Giro type can work smoothly & accurately while being rotated significantly off-vertical? I want to minimize elevation compensation while tracking for extended periods. The carried mass would be OTAs of about 15 to 18 lb.

#2 bg2468

bg2468

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

Douglas....A great question and I wish someone would chime in with an answer. I have a Linhof tripod head (which I took apart to use the bottom plate) and wondered the same thing. This head is just like a wedge and pretty strong. If I ever put it back together I'll pm you with the results (I have a Giro).
Bob

#3 mercedes_sl1970

mercedes_sl1970

Viking 1

• Loc: Canberra, Oz

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

Douglas....A great question and I wish someone would chime in with an answer. I have a Linhof tripod head (which I took apart to use the bottom plate) and wondered the same thing. This head is just like a wedge and pretty strong. If I ever put it back together I'll pm you with the results (I have a Giro).
Bob

Hello Bob - I'd be interested to hear about this as well (another Giro user). Can you post your results?

Andrew

#4 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

I think you might have to keep the axis so tight to keep it from rotating that it wouldn't track smoothly. My Giro isn't sensitive to being level but my WO EZ and AZ4 are. I can't tighten the EZ enough to keep it from rotating if it's a little off level. When the AZ4 isn't level I can tighten the axis to keep it from moving but tracking smoothness is compromised. David

#5 ScottW

ScottW

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

I think I read once that this should not be done with this mount. I can't recall why but it did have something to do with the design.
I could be wrong, too.
:question:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics