• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: WIRRAL. UK.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:46 AM

I have bought a (second hand) WO Megrez 90 and am about to order a Giro 3 mount from Telescope Services (first class help and assistance as usual !) in Germany. I was going to buy one of these to attach the scope rings to the clamp on the Giro :

http://www.williamop...il_features.php
but Patrick (at TS) stated :

"The William Optics dovetail plate fits into the saddle plate of the Giro, but it is not a particularly strong connection. The plate is unfortunately a wrong design, which is also why we chose to take it off our shop. In the position where most mounts have the locking screws the dovetail plate isn't sloped at all. Instead that is where it runs perpendicular to the mount. As a result, no matter how hard you try to lock the screw of the saddle plate, it will never be a very firm connection. A regular "all-sloped" dovetail plate offers a much better connection."

Can anyone confirm whether he is correct or not and, if he is, what alternative dovetail I should buy, in order to make the best connection. Would an ADM Vixen wide top dovetail "fit the bill" ?

Some specific and unequivocal advice on this matter, would be very much appreciated, to avoid wasting time and money on the wrong dovetail !

Many thanks.

#2 GlenM

GlenM

Vendor - Lyra Optic

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

I had a Giro 3 for the 6" f/10 I built which weighed 35lbs.I used the longer WO plate and had no problems.

Attached Files

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

I'm using one of these on my GR3-DX and am very happy with it.

However I notice on the Teleskop Service website that their Giro3 mount has a different clamp on it. My mount, which I bought at APM, came with this clamp (or one that looks just like it) which I believe is much more secure.

#4 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thanks !

#5 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

However I notice on the Teleskop Service website that their Giro3 mount has a different clamp on it. My mount, which I bought at APM, came with this clamp (or one that looks just like it) which I believe is much more secure.

Many thanks for this most informative and useful information - much appreciated !

Yes, the (Bernebach BE500610) clamp looks a better and more secure item, will order one of them with the Giro 3, rather than the "standard" clamp.

Think I have found a supplier of the 150mm Deluxe Dovetail in the UK, which is fortunate as APM's (listed) carriage charges appear extortionate !

Regards.

#6 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Telescope Services have told me this is the best and most secure clamp of the lot.
http://www.teleskop-...info/p4530.html

#7 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:07 AM

No argument against that information.
I just feel like the Berlebach clamp looks like a better fit in shape and materials to the Giro mount which incidentally is also made by Berlebach.

Attached Files

#8 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:36 AM

No argument against that information.
I just feel like the Berlebach clamp looks like a better fit in shape and materials to the Giro mount which incidentally is also made by Berlebach.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. The trouble is, like everything in life these days, there is too much darn choice !!
Is Tele-Optic part of Berlebach or vica versa ?
Cheers.

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

I have no idea what the relationship is between those two companies. All I know is that on the mount is says:
"Tele-Optic GR III Mount - made in Germany by Berlebach".
I've interpreted this as Berlebach being the sub-contractor working to Tele-Optic design specs, but don't know this for certain.

Interesting though that Berlebach have now started to market their own (smaller) mount.

#10 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Have now ordered (from Telescope Services) the dovetail and clamp you recommend - thanks for your help - appreciated !

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics