• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi Folks,

After doing a graphite white light full disk sketch of the Sun, I switched gears and did this hydrogen alpha sketch. Observing report is with the sketch.

I switched media, too, going from graphite on white paper for the white light sketch to conte' crayon on black Artagain paper for the Ha sketch. I also used Derwent white Graphtint and white watercolor pencils. For blending, I employed a stump, a cloth and my finger.

Conte' is messy--I kept blowing off the excess material. You just have to be careful you don't spit all over your drawing. :)

I'm still learning--feedback and criticism welcome.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

Michael,

A super looking sketch. I don't think you need any help at all, my only criticism is that it looks beautiful - a positive criticism for certain.

Frank :)

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:19 AM

very nice sketch, lots of detail, it looks like the sun has finally woke up.

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Frank, Tommy--thank you very much. :) The little PST is a good performer, even when conditions are less than perfect. Good transparency (which I enjoyed) is a must with the PST in order to see a lot of detail, in my experience.

Frank, you're too kind. I basically try to do what Erika does with her Ha sketches, but she has a whole lot more practice than I do. The next thing is to learn how to make the solar "surface" appear to swirl around the active regions as it appears in the eyepiece.

I forgot to mention in my op that I also used a charcoal pencil to render the sunspots and the thin black active region filament (ARF).

#5 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Nice sketch, you captured more surface features than I did. I think we caught all the same proms.

The next thing is to learn how to make the solar "surface" appear to swirl around the active regions as it appears in the eyepiece.

I hope you won't keep that knowledge secret if you ever figure it out.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

Nice sketch, you captured more surface features than I did. I think we caught all the same proms.

10th, yes I believe our sketches compare favorably.

The next thing is to learn how to make the solar "surface" appear to swirl around the active regions as it appears in the eyepiece.

I hope you won't keep that knowledge secret if you ever figure it out.

Hopefully, Erika will drop by the forum and enlighten us both. Or we can read her book. :cool:

I put together this side by side comparison of the views in H alpha and white light. The phrase "more than meets the eye" comes to mind. :cool:

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Carlos was kind enough to put together this colorized version of my Feb. 19th observation. :thanx:

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

Michael,

No doubt about it, Carlos is a very talented fellow.

Very nice.

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics