Photo

Frustrating mount issue - any helpful tips?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 roc.ls1864

roc.ls1864

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

I get to take my scope out maybe once or twice a month. I have a CG-5 mount I got last summer with a Celestron Powertank for power. It is really frustrating to go completely or partially through the whole alignment routine and then see "no response 17" on the controller and have to power down and start over. This Saturday night, it happened twice, once during the alignment and once afterward when doing a "goto".
On Feb 11, it happened 4 times.

Anyone able to either offer an explanation, tips to avoid this, or just sympathy?

I usually just reboot and deal with it but it leads to probably an hour of wasted time each time I go out and when it is freezing cold it is real frustrating :mad:- but it doesn't seem to matter how cold it is, "no response 17" can come at any temperature.

Thanks
:confused:

#2 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

I had the same trouble with my Celestron mounts and it turned out to be bad power cords supplied by Celestron. I have replaced the cords with ones of better quality and have not had a problem since. Some say to spread the connector on the mount, but I have not had to do that.

Stan

#3 Nasus

Nasus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi

Did you already try to google 'celestron "no response 17"'?
If so, did you try some of the proposed solutions for this quite common problem, e.g. caramba or other contact spray?

#4 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:02 AM

Well I get this sometimes on my CGE,Infact just this sat night I had to rebalance my setup due to added on equipment in my observatory.So I went though the alignment process.2 STARS Plus 4 calibration stars.When I got to the last calibration star I notice the No reponse 17 on the HC.I first said Dam;then I just pushed one of the buttons that moves the scope.Soon as I did that the No R 17 went away and I pushed align and I was done.This is the 2nd time this has happen.And both times just moving the scope with one of the 4 buttons fix the problem.So try that.It works everytime for me.Sometime I take awhile aligning to get the most precise goto using HP ep's'And I think the mount just falls asleep and you get the NR17'just by moving the mount with said controller wakes it back up.

#5 roc.ls1864

roc.ls1864

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

then I just pushed one of the buttons that moves the scope.Soon as I did that the No R 17 went away and I pushed align and I was done.

Thanks, I will try to remember that next time I go out and hope it works for me. I usually just turn the power off quickly because when NR17 shows up the mount is slewing and I turn it off to keep it from running away and running into itself.

I may also try a little contact cleaner as other mentioned - Thanks everyone. I was willing to bet I am not the only one who gets "no response 17" ....

#6 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hello,
Have you upgraded the handset software and mount firmware to the latest available for your mount?

Regards,

skybsd

#7 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

No response 17 refers to a lack of communication between the hand controller and the declination motor control board (16 refers to the RA motor control board).

All the tips above are where you should start troubleshooting. But don't overlook cleaning the contacts on the declination cable, and if that doesn't work, gently re-crimping the cable ends. You can get a crimping tool with dies for both RJ-11 and RJ-12 connectors for about $10 at a hardware store.

#8 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

rdandrea made a very good observation. I had the dreaded no response 17 error on my CGEM and it turned out to be the crimp in the RJ style connector at the end of the HC. Since the CG5 also has the DEC cable, as suggested by rdandrea, I would check those crimps and the crimp on the HC cable.
Yes, I can offer my empathy on this...very frustrating to go though the alignment process and have this happen. This happened on many a night to me unil Celestron replaced the HC for me. Works great now. I am not sure if you should also contact Celestron. If the mount is still under warranty, they may replace the DEC cable and or HC. It will take 3 to 4 weeks, which may be intolerable to you, in which case rdandrea's suggesttion to recrimp is worth a try. Also if you know someone else with a CG5, you could borrow their DEC cable and HC for night and do some testing. I hope you get it worked out soon!

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

The place to start with this one is cables and connection, and, inparticular, the dec cord.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics