• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: WIRRAL. UK.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Which (specific) model of Berlebach tripod, would members recommend I consider purchasing, for use with a WO Megrez 90 and a Tele-Optic Giro 3 single arm mount with counter-weight ?
Many thanks

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

The UNI 9 or UNI 19 depending on height requirements.
These are the least expensive model that have a geared central column.

Personally as a more affordable solution (less than half the price of the Berlebachs) I'v been looking at a Wolf Static 8052. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

#3 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

The UNI 9 or UNI 19 depending on height requirements.
These are the least expensive model that have a geared central column.

Personally as a more affordable solution (less than half the price of the Berlebachs) I'v been looking at a Wolf Static 8052. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

Thanks, will investigate Wolf. Would the UNI 28 not be a better (and cheaper) choice ?

What is the benefit of the central geared column ?

Cheers.

#4 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

The geared column allows you to easily adjust the eyepiece height to your seating position. Of course if you want to use an adjustable chair that's also an option.

If not for the geared column requirement (for me), for something as light as a WO 90 mm I'd be looking at the Berlebach Report tripods. I find something as heavy as a UNI 28 a complete overkill, but that's just my personal opinion.

#5 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

I've printed out and studied the Belebach catalogue and "quite like the look of" the Report range, which are also more reasonably priced compared to the UNI range.

Would these "work well" with my WO Megrez 90 and a Tele-Optic Giro 3 single arm mount with (balancing) counter-weight set up ?

If so, which, out of these 3 models would members recommend ?

2072 - Max height 111cm - Max load 20kg
3072 - Max height 135cm - Max load 18kg
4072 - Max height 162cm - Max load 15KG.

All would carry my load, so presumably it is best to go for max height i.e. 4072 ?

Any advice / comments gratefully received.
Many thanks.

#6 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

I'm curious, you always come back to models from the "astronomy" range which are made to fit Vixen GP style mounts. Do you have confirmation that the Giro 3 will fit on it?

#7 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:36 AM

I'm curious, you always come back to models from the "astronomy" range which are made to fit Vixen GP style mounts. Do you have confirmation that the Giro 3 will fit on it?

Hi Mark, Yes I do - please see extract below from Telescope Service's website.

"Berlebach's Report rangs stands for a lightweight and transportable design. Nevertheless these tripods are very stiff. We recommend them for usage where transportability is important.
The adapter head is included in the standard price
We can offer this tripod e.g. for the following mounts:

-- Vixen GP and Sphinx
-- Celestron CAM, ADM, CG-4, CG-5
-- Skywatcher EQ-3, EQ-4, EQ-5, H-EQ5
-- Meade LXD 500, LXD 55, ETX
-- Tele-Optic GiRo"

Cheers.

#8 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

Yes, but there's a range of Berlebach photo tripods where you have a whole range of Report and Uni models with a 3/8" screw (or optionally 1/4" or 5/8") which I'm sure fit the Giro mount.

The models shown on the Teleskop Service website are the astro series which will IMO not fit your Giro mount. TS are however confirming that they can get these tripods with the correct adapter for the Giro mount, but actually then they'll be different tripod model numbers than the ones shown.

You should really take a look at the Berlebach site.

#9 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

Yes, but there's a range of Berlebach photo tripods where you have a whole range of Report and Uni models with a 3/8" screw (or optionally 1/4" or 5/8") which I'm sure fit the Giro mount.

The models shown on the Teleskop Service website are the astro series which will IMO not fit your Giro mount. TS are however confirming that they can get these tripods with the correct adapter for the Giro mount, but actually then they'll be different tripod model numbers than the ones shown.

You should really take a look at the Berlebach site.

Thanks. I've visited Berlebach's site several times and have "printed out" a full copy of their catalogue. Seems to me that, as I am using a telescope for astronomy, it makes sense to "stick" with their "Astro Tripods" range. In any event before ordering anything, I would obviously mail Berlebach for 100%, unequivocal confirmation of compatibilty.
Cheers.

#10 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

I'm sorry for my confusion, it appears that not only do the Berlebach tripods come with a choice of "astro" connection or 3/8" connection, but also the Giro mount can be had in either version. So it doesn't matter either way, as long as the versions match.

#11 Rautospoon

Rautospoon

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

I'm sorry for my confusion, it appears that not only do the Berlebach tripods come with a choice of "astro" connection or 3/8" connection, but also the Giro mount can be had in either version. So it doesn't matter either way, as long as the versions match.

Thanks Mark. I am quickly coming to the realisation that "nothing is ever simple" when it comes to buying astronomical equipment - there is so much choice available that every purchase is a potential minefield ! It's a miracle how anyone ever gets the right bit of kit first time ! Anyway, have just mailed Berlebach for confirmation so as to "be on the safe side".
All the very best.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics