• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Is it difficult to mount a rather heavy telescope (refractor TOA150) on a mount (EM400) with saddle plate, and the rings on a dove tail (the rings remain on the scope)?

Or is it better to use the original heavy plate with the craddle on the mount (always open and close the rings)?

Thanks! :waytogo:

#2 walt99

walt99

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

I found it much easier to leave the clamshell on the mount and put my TOA in that. Still a PIA tho.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

To some degree the answer depends on the type of saddle on the mount. If the saddle is a full moving side plate design and allows a dovetail plate to be inserted from the side (rather than being slid in from the end) then it will likely be easier to keep the rings and the dovetail plate on the scope. If the saddle is not of that design and only loads from the end then you'll likely find it easier to leave the plate and rings on the mount and load the scope into the open split rings.

With a lighter weight scope this difference likely doesn't matter as it will be easier to manipulate the angle of the dovetail plate as it enters the rear of the saddle but with a heavier scope this is much more difficult. With a heavier scope the side loading technique tends to work better.

#4 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for the clear answers!

#5 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

I find it easier to put my rings on the mount first (on a dovetail plate) and then put the scope in the rings.

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

At least through 15lbs, I have had no trouble leaving them on a dovetail with an end-loading setup. But I made my own dovetail clamps where they have a lead-in feature just so they could do this.

-Rich

#7 AntarcticDave

AntarcticDave

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

I scratched up my saddle sliding my 6" refractor with rings and dovetail in. I agree with LLEEGE, I now mount the dovetail and rings to the saddle first, then mount the scope in the rings - much easier and secure.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics