Photo

Convert cine motorized alt-az head for telescope?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bykhed

bykhed

Viking 1

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

I recently acquired a heavy duty motorized alt-az head designed for cine (movie-making) use. It's a Houston Fearless RCH pan-tilt unit and has a wired remote for the axis motors.

My evil plan is to convert this to use with a telescope. Possible stumbling blocks/questions are:

- I don't believe there are clutches on the drives. How difficult would it be to add clutches?
- The seller said the drives operated slowly, which make sense for both camera and telescope use. How difficult would it be to make a controller that can operate the motors at variable speeds?

Any insights from the geniuses & craftsmen here would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Matt

Attached Files

#2 bykhed

bykhed

Viking 1

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Another view of the head.

Attached Files

#3 bykhed

bykhed

Viking 1

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

The wired remote - quite the deluxe job here!

Attached Files

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

Are you sure that there aren't any clutches on it already?

Those big flat disks look like clutch plates. It could be that if you twist, they will move against drag.

If so, then it is just a matter of finding out hot to adjust the drag, which may mean partical dis-assembly.

If this were the case, the mod would likely be as easy as drilling a hole through the case and extenting the adjustment screw(s) with T-handle.

Otherwise, one gets into the situation where one has to realize that what is very easy to one person migth be impossible to many.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics