CGEM C11 Higher Weight Capacity

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jovian

Jovian

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

I have a C11 Edge Hd (which works very nicely). The CGEM C11 mount is rated for 40# The OTA weighs 28lb. With various AP accessories, this is marginal for astrophotography.

However, there are a number of beefier tripods and portable piers that would hold a couple hundred pounds. Although the gears and the motor strength of the CGEM would limit weight capacity, I would think that a much beefier support would increase the capacity beyond 40#

Has anyone tried this??? Any idea what kind of weight could be safely handled for AP?

Thanks,
Don

#2 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

This is exactly what Celestron is pushing with the CGEM-DX. Beefier tripod (essentially a CGE-Pro tripod) which they are claiming adds another 10lbs capacity.

Rule of thumb for high production mounts like Celestrons, is to not load it more that 50% its stated capacity for photography. Celestron is, generally, very generous with its capacity recommendations.

When I had my CGE (60 lbs capacity), I was shooting with a 12 lbs refractor plus guide scope and other gear which barely pushed 25 lbs.

#3 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

This is exactly what Celestron is pushing with the CGEM-DX. Beefier tripod (essentially a CGE-Pro tripod) which they are claiming adds another 10lbs capacity.

The video on the Celestron site and the text mention that modifications to the internals of the mount increase the payload capacity.
http://www.celestron...D=16&ProdID=761

#4 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

All they really say is that the motor chipset is upgraded along with the bigger counterweight shaft and larger knobs for the saddle. The internal mechanics appear to be no different than the standard CGEM. At least they're not saying they are and i would think if they were upgraded Celestron would be touting that fact. You're basically paying an extra $500.00 for a better counterweight shaft and beefier tripod.

I guess we'll all see when it is released. :)

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

All they really say is that the motor chipset is upgraded along with the bigger counterweight shaft and larger knobs for the saddle. The internal mechanics appear to be no different than the standard CGEM. At least they're not saying they are and i would think if they were upgraded Celestron would be touting that fact. You're basically paying an extra $500.00 for a better counterweight shaft and beefier tripod.

If you've priced tripods in this class, you'll know that 500 _for just the tripod_ is an _excellent_ buy, and will probably do more than anything else to improve the mount.

#6 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

If you've priced tripods in this class, you'll know that 500 _for just the tripod_ is an _excellent_ buy, and will probably do more than anything else to improve the mount.

Agreed. That's exactly the point i made in another thread about mounting a standard CGEM on a concrete pier and having basically the same mount. Isn't it?

#7 jbattleson

jbattleson

Happily Retired

• Loc: Nebraska

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

I moved my CGEM 1100 (no longer owned) from the tripod to my pier in the obs and seen a world of difference.

#8 Jovian

Jovian

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I may go with a tripod spreader/stiffener from http://www.tpiastro.com/index.htm .
That item should add maybe 10lb extra weight capacity.

#9 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

I'd be curious about this as well. Is there anyone out there that can speak to how well this truly stabilizes the mount. At it's price, it's almost worth it to simply upgrade to a larger heavier tripod.

I've considered (still am) adding the spreader but I'd like to see something that helps me form a reasonable expectation of the performance improvement.

#10 mak7

mak7

Messenger

• Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

Don and Mike,
If you want to look at "increased capacity" as reduced damping time, then the TPI spreader is worth its weight to me. With a TEC 140 (long moment) it reduced damping time significantly. 6 seconds to 1.5 or less from a good rap on the ota. Same result with a Mewlon 250S weighing in at about 36 pounds. I can actually guide the TEC now for long periods, and a lot of this is due to a Hypertuning from Deep Space Prod that MY mount NEEDED, but the stability added to MY mount by the TPI spreader seems to bring it all together.
It was essential for me and I'm glad I purchased it.
I don't think it ads to the weight capacity of the mount, but it lets you at least use it within specs.
YMMV.
Brad

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics