Photo

My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . .

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions about my dec balance issue. In the interim I have removed a safety screw on the scope dovetail bar. Not real happy to do that but it allows me to slide the OTA far enough up the mount saddle plate to achieve balance.

On a light note . . .not meant to sound snippy but, about this whole CW thing: I am not sure which depresses me more:
1/ That I need an additional 21 lb Losmondy dead weight that costs another $100 plus (non-negligible) shipping :( , or . . .

2/ I should discard the Losmondy CW outright and order two 23 lb stainless steel- brass bushinged wonders from Casady for $400 plus (non-negligible) shipping! :foreheadslap:

These are counterweights for crying out loud! Not jewelry! Are we nuts?? Why can't we use barbell weights? :) :)

Actually, I think that there are some people out there who use barbell weights. There might even be someone out there who sells a stop for securing them on the bar but I can't remember where I saw those. They just need to have the correct ID and if you sandwhich them between two other wieghts that have the ability to attach to the counterweight bar then you are good to go. It is amazing how much one big chunck of steel can cost. Of course, some of them are just about as pretty as jewelry for your mount. Bling for your mount. My teenage daughter would love that.

#27 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

You need an additional CW because of the mounted scope. You can spare the US $ 100.00 if you mount a lighter scope on it :grin:

Be happy you bought a Losmandy mount. They come at least already with ONE CW. Other mounts come with ZERO CW :grin:

You are right. Casidy counterweights just because they look nicer :confused:

What if the CW shaft gets a bit marred by the CW ? We use the mounts for imaging or observing the night sky OK other buy a mount for observing it :bow:

Of course you can use Barbell weights but so far I guessw there are no Barbell weights with an inner diamater of 1.25" and the other question is how to fix them on the shaft so they do not slip on it. You will need tog et to a machine shop and adapt them to the shaft.

Keep in mind that the fixing screw of the Losmandy CW has a plastic insert on the tip so it does not scratch the CW shaft.

#28 akua

akua

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

"Keep in mind that the fixing screw of the Losmandy CW has a plastic insert on the tip so it does not scratch the CW shaft."
The scratches don't come from the set screw, it is the rough finish in the interior that causes the scratches when you move counterweight.
The Casady CWs use brass pistons to push against the CW bar so they are easier to make fine adjustment as you you don't have to hold CW in place firmly as the tip of pison does not rotate against the CW bar.
The Casady CWs are well after sought in the use market and they fetches very close to their selling prices.

#29 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

• Loc: Okanagan Valley

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

Yes, the control panel must be under the polar finder
like this:
Posted Image
Good fun!!!
Stef

Why?

#30 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

I believe it has to do with the cable lengths. If on the left, then the Dec cable doesn't reach. If on the right, the RA cable doesn't reach (or is very taut).

#31 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

• Loc: Okanagan Valley

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

I was thinking of my mount, where I have the Gemini mounted just below the R/A motor, but it's on a pier with the pier adapter.
I think the Gemini ends up below the polar scope when you use a tripod and have one leg below the counterweight bar, as you should do, for stability.
The only cable that moves is the Dec cable, when the mount moves in R/A.

#32 bradisback

bradisback

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

No, keep the 21 lbs.
They sent me for free, but it is too little ... With 2x21 is perfect!

Stef

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics