CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RA or Dual axis drive

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi there, what drives are available for manual Skywatcher EQ mounts (CG5 type)...found a good deal locally but want at least an RA drive...

#2 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

Single and duals are available at quite a few different places. Skywatcher, Orion, Hands on Optics...

#3 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

Would the drive system for the skyview pro mount fit?

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

Would the drive system for the skyview pro mount fit?

I am not sure, I think the SkyView Pro is not exactly a CG-5 clone. Anyway, for visual, I think single axis drive is attractive. These stepper motor drives generally are slow at slewing and have a fair amount of slop in the gear train so that using the Dec (and RA axis) to center an object can be pretty frustrating. A manual slow motion control on the dec axis is quicker and more reliable IME.

JOn

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

Agreed, I have a dual-axis Vixen drive (DD-1 and two MT-1's) but I tend to use the manual slow motion on the DEC axis on my Great Polaris.

However... the dual-axis drive is useful because I can autoguide the mount, something you can't do if you have only a single-axis drive.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics