Tripod/Mount Alternatives for ETX-90

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Explorer 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

Does anyone know if the Celestron tripod for the NexStar 4&5SE will work for an ETX?

What about alternate tripods?

I don't have anything against the Meade #884...just seeing if there are more affordable alternatives.

Thanks!

#2 ecbl

ecbl

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

I have an ETX90 with the #884 tripod, and after looking at the images of the Celestron Nextar 4 or 5SE tripod online, I honestly don't think it would work. If you look at the Celestron tripod, there's like 3 lips that come up to mimic the curvature of the bottom of the Celestron base. The ETX doesn't curve like that, so it probably wouldn't rest flush to the tripod plate.
You might want to look into getting a GEM, and attache a dovetail to your ETX. If you're familiar with them, it would make for a much more accurate polar alignment. Plus it would be great for astrophotography. It would be pricy if you want to maintain the go-to feature though.
Hope that helps!

#3 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

Try this link to the weasner etx site. A lot of info on tripods for the etx system there. web page

#4 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Explorer 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

Thanks guys, I've been all over Weasner's sites. It looks like pretty much any alternative mount (aside from the #884 or #887) is going to have to be custom made or a HD photographic tripod.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics