Photo

Hope some of you guys are out there tonight....

• Please log in to reply
806 replies to this topic

#576 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Well no such luck tonight. Bot set up and aligned and the clouds rolled i. Got a few minutes of Saturn. Waited 2 hours but it just got worse. Hope some of you are doing better

James

#577 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:05 AM

Same thing for me too James. Had a friend over and just got everything set up and aligned and started to work on NGC6888 before the cloud cover suddenly overtook the sky. A real bummer especially since the forecast called for a clear night.

George

#578 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for your report James. Pleased you were able to get some observing time in.
You certainly did well to see so many of Saturns moons and to get some individual stars out of the Globulars.
I think for you to expect two night on the trot is being a bit greedy though. :roflmao:

The weather is still atrocious here in the U.K. I have not had so much as a sniff of a clear night for over a month.
Still, longest day on Wednesday so its all down hill from there. :fingerscrossed:

Regards. Peter.

#579 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Isnt that the norm George? Invite a friend or 2 over, and clouds pour in.
I hate when that happens, get everyone excited then nothing. Even rained one time, just out of nowhere!! Glad my buddy was there to help me get everything in the garage fast.

Sorry to hear about the UK skys Peter. Hope they clear up soon.

#580 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Many thanks Matt.

I'll try saying my prays tonight. :praying:

If I had a £ ($) for every time I've set up only for the clouds to roll in, I'd be a rich man. :lol:

Regards. Peter.

#581 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

If I had a £ ($) for every time I've set up only for the clouds to roll in, I'd be a rich man.

Where the heck are you changing your money Peter? You should get around $1.5 for every one of them pound thingies, not a $. :poke: :lol:

Sorry about the UK weather buddy. We've had more cloud than normal (and more rain) here in North Texas. And, for some reason, more haze too. But one good thing about the extra rain, the temps haven't topped 100 F yet. Close a couple of times, but this time last year the rain had stopped completely for the summer and the temps were in the 100's - and stayed that way for a long time! Hope things improve soon for all my British compadres! :grin:

Cheers,

#582 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

If I had a £ ($) for every time I've set up only for the clouds to roll in, I'd be a rich man.

Where the heck are you changing your money Peter? You should get around $1.5 for every one of them pound thingies, not a $. :poke: :lol:

Sorry about the UK weather buddy. We've had more cloud than normal (and more rain) here in North Texas. And, for some reason, more haze too. But one good thing about the extra rain, the temps haven't topped 100 F yet. Close a couple of times, but this time last year the rain had stopped completely for the summer and the temps were in the 100's - and stayed that way for a long time! Hope things improve soon for all my British compadres! :grin:

Cheers,

Hi Skip, The $ sign in () was ment to mean that you lads (and Lasses) across the water should read $ for £. It was not for comparison. :poke: :roflmao:
What are we like Skip. I don't think the two of us together would make a pair. :rofl5:

Regards. Peter.

#583 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hey Peter,

A pair of WHAT? :smirk: :rofl2:

Remember, this is a family forum. :p :grin:

#584 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hey Peter,

A pair of WHAT? :smirk: :rofl2:

Remember, this is a family forum. :p :grin:

Yeah a disfunctional family forum

James

#585 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

At last. Mangaed an hour and half last night.

I was talking kippers with Skip and Art when I glanced outside to see a clear blue, (yes blue, its summer time here remember) sky. Knowing the Moon was in the S.W I picked up my eyepiece case and I was off. (21.50ish)
The Moon was at a good phase, displaying a terminater with lots to look at (does it ever do anything else). I spent most of my time in the Archimedes, Aristoteles and the Montes Caucasus area.

Around 22.20 I moved over to Saturn and was reward with great views of the Northern cloud belt and, with my variable polerised filter in place, the Cassini division. Broad daylight at X170 and I was seeing cassini. Mind, I was using an 8se. :bow: :bow: Titan was on display at (throu the eyepiece) eight o clock.

Just to add that I think a variable polerised filter is a great thing to have in your eyepiece kit.

Regards. Peter.

#586 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

Good to hear you had some nice weather. What time does the sun set in your parts? CD in daylight you mus have had some good seeing,

Since Saturday I've been clouded over.

James

#587 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi James,
Sun set was around 21.40 last night. You are right, the air was very stable. Saturn was also quite low, just below 30deg, which does not help of coarse.
I checked and double checked, but I was seeing Cassini, quite clearly too. The variable polerised filter helped, turning the sky almost black and increasing the contrast between the different shadings on Saturn and the rings. There is a dimming effect but you can dial in the right amount of light v contrast etc to suit.

Hope your cloudy skies turn clear.

Regards. Peter.

#588 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Sun set was around 21.40 last night.

That's about the end of astronomical twilight here.

#589 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

The Gods were good to me last night (early morning), for a while anyway. From my location, Jupiter was due to just miss occulting the Moon at 03-05hrs (closest approach) in the N.E. The sky was almost totally cloud covered, but for the N Eastern horizon. (Gods at work). Now the N.E is a not a good area for me observing wise, but, as the Gods would have it, the Moon was due to rise, with Jupiter in close attendance, in the best possible area of that part of the sky. When, at around 02-35hrs it did, the sight of it blow me away. There was the 25 and a bit day old Moon, with Jupiter and its four inner Moons, two either side and in a straight line, just off it's Eastern (Western in the eyepiece) limb. It was a brilliant sight, one I will remember as I remember my first view of Saturn or the Orion Nebula. The pair were only 5.40deg above the horizon and Jupiter shimmered and danced. Naked eye it was almost as good with Jupiter looking like a shinning bead ascending the Moons limb. I watched in awe both through the eyepiece (Baader zoom at 24mm) and naked eye, until at 03.05 with the pair now at a dizzy 9.32deg above the horizon, closest approach came. As Jupiter progressed from the "light" limb of the Moon to the Dark limb, the naked eye view was something to see, Jupiter looking like a pearl on the Moons North pole.
But alas, all good things must come to an end, and the Gods deemed I had seen enough. Around 03-10hrs, the clouds completed their blanket cover of the sky and I lost my jewel. A few spots of rain had me closing the dome and ending the session, but what a session.

I will remember it as I do my first view of Saturn etc. I feel privileged that I had the good fortune to witness such a spectacular event. My thanks to the Gods. :bow: :bow:

Regards. Peter.

P.S How do you spell "horizon" when your dog tired after an early morning observing session. "Arisen" thats how. :roflmao:
All edited out now. Peter.

#590 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Nice report Peter, glad to see you had some clear skies. July has been a bummer in NYC for astronomy. The only night it was clear I had to work early the next morning. Last night I was determined to observe. Forecast was for clear skies but it was iffy up to 10pm. Managed to align the scope before 10:30 but clouds were not totally cleared. Only was able to manage about an hour total viewing time. Got to see M57, 27, 13, and 92 along with some double stars. The rest of the week looks cloudy :(, so you are not alone in this misserable weather.

James

#591 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

Thanks James.

Weather wise you seem to be suffering the same sort of conditions that we are suffering here in the U.K. We have been devoid of any chance of observing/imaging (bar one in my case) for 10 weeks or more.
So its good to see you are able to report an outing, even though the weather was determined to play its part in trying to prevent you. M57, 27, 13 and 92 are good old favorites, pleased you managed to observe them.
As I report on AP thread, the clouds defeated my efforts to observe on Monday night. Friday and Saturday nights are hopeful as of now. Hope things improve for you over the coming weeks.

Thanks for the report.

Regards. Peter.

#592 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi all,

I have clear skies for the first time in weeks. I have tempted fate and opened up the observatory. If my luck holds, I'll be going out around 21.00 and spend time on the Moon while it gets proper dark.
Hope you have similar clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

#593 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Good luck Peter. It seems as if you and my other UK friends have had rough luck as of late with skies. Please let us know how it goes!!

#594 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

Hope you got the observing time you hoped for last night Peter! :D

regards,

Tom.

#595 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

Thanks Matt.

Hi All,

The night went well. The forecast was for a two hour clear sky window and that is just about what happened. I say just as the skies did not clear completely, so it was a case of staying ahead of the advancing clouds.

The seeing conditions were good (in the clear area's) and I did as I said in my post above and started with the Moon. You may think that the Moon is a strange choice, it being near full, but what is left of the terminator is very interesting at this time and often overlooked.

Next up was M11 the Wild Duck cluster. The view suffered from its closeness to the Moon and its fairly low Alt (29deg), but it was rewarding none the less. Had a quick look at M26 but its low mag and small number of stars resulted in me seeing little of it. The same applied to my next target M14.
Ursa Major was nicely placed for me and, in order to stay ahead of the ever approaching clouds, I slewed to Mizar. I think everyone who is in that area of the sky should take a look at Mizar, the small group of stars, including Alcor, you see through the eyepiece are a joy. M94 was next. It showed as a small grey fuzzy in my goto eyepiece (26mm W.A) and in the Baader zoom at X140 it showed as a bigger grey fuzzy :lol: but I was pleased with the view. M51 (The Whirlpool) gave a similar view. Next, with the clouds gathering ever thicker, I tried for M81/82. They were showing surprisingly little detail but on taking my eye form the viewer and looking at the sky, they were in thin high cloud.

I'd been out almost 2 hours and the clouds were winning. I notice a small patch of clear and took a chance on seeing M13 in there. Sure enough, my goto had M13 in the F.O.V. M13 has to be one of the best Globulars in our Northern skies. At X200 in the Baader zoom I had an eyepiece full of dancing stars. I backed down to around X170 (12mm) which proved to be the best on the night, and enjoyed the view until the clouds finely won the day(night).

I had a very enjoyable two and a half hours observing. The 8se once again proved its worth with excellent optics, faultless tracking and spot on goto's. The Baader zoom also proved again what a good eyepiece it is, leaving me wanting nothing at the eyepiece.

Thanks for reading.

Regards. Peter.

#596 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Peter for a great report, 2 and a half hours well spent.I agree with you about the Baader zoom, i also own this excellent eyepiece,although with my imaging i dont get to use it that much to be honest, but nice to know its in my kit for times i would like to observe for a change.

best regards,

Tom.

#597 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Tom, it was indeed time well spent.

I hope we have a good late Summer early Autumn clear skies wise, as it is a great time of year to observe or do astrophotography. Its starting to get dark earlier by the week, the weather conditions are generally good, its much warmer than in the winter months, and there are plenty of good objects on view.

Hope you get to use that Baader zoom in the near future. :ubetcha:

Regards. Peter.

#598 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the report Peter. 2 1/2 hours of viewing is better than wasting 2 hours to see if the clouds will give way.
I try to use M13 as a guidepost to seeing conditions throughout the night. I know if M13 looks pristine, I can shoot for some galaxies. If it has a hard time resolving, then planets it is. Haha.
Oh well, with "summer" (time of year, not indication of temp change in south TX) almost over and Saturn ready to hide, its time to start planning for Fall and Winter viewings as well.
I hope everyone can get a break from the clouds soon and get some good viewing in.

#599 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Matt,

As you rightly say, being able to observe despite the clouds, is better than not observing at all. This time of year is a great time to get out under the night sky here in the U.K. Beleive it or not, there's half a chance the skies will be clear tonight. I've opened the doom in an attempt to influence the clear sky gods. :lol:
If I make it, I will use your tip and take a look at M13 in a bid to determine the seeing conditions. :applause:

I too have Autumn/Winter in mind. Today I ordered a UHC filter (my thanks to Dan (Midnight) for passing on to me his visual experiences with his UHC filter) with the intention of chasing down a few Nebula in the coming months.

My thanks also to my friend Tel for steering me in the same direction.

Clear skies to you Matt, and to all my C.N friends.

Regards. Peter.

#600 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Just out of curiosity, which brand UHC did u get?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics