Photo

Hope some of you guys are out there tonight....

• Please log in to reply
806 replies to this topic

#651 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

My skies are poop...... Some evenings have had breaks in the clouds but even then the turbulence ends up being extreme.

#652 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

Fairly clear and steady skies, 16 degrees F !

Walked up the hill above the house for unaided panoramic view.Leo well up and Scorpio coming out of the trees.

Got out the ETX-80 for a half-hour of casual scanning.Not enough time to get out charts ,big scope,etc. Gotta get some type of observatory built...

#653 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

James, Sonny and BigC, thanks for your input and for using this thread. It keeps visual observing together and acts as a reference point. :bow: :bow:

It seems that no matter where we are in the world, we are all waiting for the weather to break and give us some clear skies. I'm sure it will happen soon, said he. :lol:

Regards. Peter.

#654 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hi Peter,

have you had any luck viewing Comet Pantarrs,???.

Last night i made an attempt to see it with my Bino`s, according to my Starry night Pro 6 software program, Comet Panstarrs could be located below the thin crescent moon at about the 5 o`clock position, i searched in vain with my bino`s hoping to get a glimpse of it in the twilight as the sun went down, sadly though, by the time it was dark enough for me to see the comet, it was too low at about 8 degree`s above the horizon to see it due to trees and houses blocking my view by 6.30 pm.

Ah well, i tried!

regards,

Tom.

#655 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hi Tom,

Sorry your attempts were unsuccessful. Pity it sets so soon after the Sun.

Same story here I'm afraid but with the added annoyance of a cloudy horizon. Apart from, Comet Panstarrs position is quite favourable for me, if only the clouds would clear.

We've some time left to try and catch a glimpse Tom, so I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us.

Hope you weren't too unsteady on your feet when viewing visually. :rofl5:

Thanks for the post Tom.

Regards. Peter.

#656 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hope you weren't too unsteady on your feet when viewing visually. :rofl5:

Thanks for the post Tom.

Regards. Peter.

Made me quite dizzy it did :roflmao:

regards,

Tom.

#657 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

No luck here so far either.

Too much cloud in just the wrong place. Clear skies elsewhere - typical

Art :bangbangbang:

#658 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hey guys, sorry I havent been on in awhile, Jaxon jsut turned 4 months old. But I have gotten a chance at Pan-STARRS. Its a tricky little bugger. Too early and the lingering brightness from the set sun is still too bright. Too late, and below the horizon it goes. magic time is around 8:15pm local time and I managed to see it naked eye for a split second one night. Also managed a few shots with wife's Nikon D3200. They are 5 second exposures at around f/5.6.

Hope yall enjoy, and more importantly, hope yall get to see as well.

Attached Files

#659 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

And the other

Attached Files

#660 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the shots Matt, they give me/us a chance to see what to look for. Still no luck this end, saw the Moon briefly tonight but no Comet. The clouds are still winning. Still a few nights left thou, so fingers crossed.

Glad to hear that "little legs" is coming along O.K.

Regards. Peter.

#661 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Peter. Yea, he aint so little, not like he ever was to begin with. 4 month checkup was 25 3/4" long and 16 pounds. He is sitting on my lap laughing away right now. Good times.

Back on topic, I thought about trying to do a little time lapse, though the low target will prove difficult im sure.

#662 langman78

langman78

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

Over 10 straight days of 33 to 38 degree C weather with clear evenings (a record here in Melbourne Australia in the month of March). The weekend comes pfffft cold and rain and cloud cover likely for most of the week. Only took advantage of one night but too hot and too many mosquitoes lol.

#663 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Kudos to you Matt, for both your observation and your images of this comet,i`m feeling quite full of envy at the moment, as our chances here in the UK of viewing this comet have been very limited, mainly because it sets so fast as the sun goes down and is so low to the horizon during that time, plus the ever present poor weather condition we are having to put up with.

Again thanks for posting your captures, :waytogo:

best regards,

Tom.

#664 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Wow, the comet is beautiful !!! I wish I could see it.

#665 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Over 10 straight days of 33 to 38 degree C weather with clear evenings (a record here in Melbourne Australia in the month of March). The weekend comes pfffft cold and rain and cloud cover likely for most of the week. Only took advantage of one night but too hot and too many mosquitoes lol.

I have a cousin who lives up the coast from you at Wombarra. We speak two or three time a week on Skype and he's been ribbing me something wicked about the good weather you have been enjoying of late. :4 :grin:

Hopefuly, the worm will turn and I can get my own back. :lol:

Seriously, it's good to hear that someone somewhere is able to get some viewing time in.

Regards. Peter.

#666 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Got out a little this evening and it was very breezy. Tried to find Pan Starr again but my treeline is a problem when looking on the low west horizon. Stayed out for awhile but the wind won!

#667 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I have the same problem. The trees keeps me from seeing Pan Starr. But I did get some viewing and was able to get some pics of the moon and Jupiter. Not bad for a first attempt.

#668 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yea, like I said in that pic... 5 minutes before, sky still too bright. 5 min after, comet is passed the trees. I got lucky. Clouds are heavy here tonight so no scope time anyways. Hope everyone else is fairing better.

#669 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

I have the same problem. The trees keeps me from seeing Pan Starr. But I did get some viewing and was able to get some pics of the moon and Jupiter. Not bad for a first attempt.

I like the trees and enjoy them other than when I have a telescope out :grin: Nice pictures you posted too!

#670 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Everything came into alignment (weather, time, and obligations) and I was able to do some early spring viewing on Saturday night. Had the scope out before dark and did a quick SS alignment on the moon. Was nice to get out and check out the moon in the day. Got a nice contrasty? view of the Bay of Rainbows. Was suprised with how well the mount was tracking at lunar rate. I didn't level the mount and even after 1 1/2 hours it was still dead center. Was searching with my binos for PanStarrs around dusk, but to no avail :(. Was quite annoyed at first but hey it was clear overhead :jump:. Went inside for awhile to warm up. It was 32F with 25-30 mph gusts, but it was clear overhead :jump:. Went back out with more clothing. Went to Jupiter to get some last views before it gets too low. Was having some difficulty picking up much detail especially with my eye tearing up from the cold wind. Seeing was 2/5 but with perseverance I was able to catch a glimpse of the equitorial bands with some finer details of swirls. The 4 G-moons were all visible 2 on each side of the planet very closely spaced.

Went over to M42 and added my O3 filter to add more detail.

I went back to the moon and the clouds started to roll in from the west.

I was in and out of the house to keep warm so my total observing time was probably 2 1/2 hours but I'll take it!

Clear Skies to all.

#671 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for your report James. Sorry for the late response but I've been trying to take my thumb end off with the car door. All straped up and on the mend now.

Looks like your session was lots of fun, if you can call it so. Put me in mind of my last one. Still, your reward was that you managed to get behind the telescope and view an object or two objects.
I tried my UHC filter on M42 to good effect. May get the 03 later.

Regards. Peter.

#672 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thursday evening finally dot clear sky but no comet.Ay 45 minutes after sunset sky still too bright and hazy to he west,But with darkness,did enjoy an hour or so of checking out old standards:Sirius(brilliant and distinctly bluish),Jupiter (two bands) and 4 moons(the two smallest were very close,M42 very detailed(could see all 4 Trapezium stars at 32X,at 66X clearly seperated),the Pleiades,Mizar and Alcor,and more.

Setup with chair,7x35 vintage binos,and Meade 102 f7.8 achromat.On grassy hillside above home.

Without glasses could spot quite a few objects (which takes good seeing with MY eyes),with glasses ,hundreds;with binos Wow!,and with scope even more.

Downside is to the north,all the security lights or something meant only the brightest four of the Little Dipper were easily seen and the faintest just varely duiscernable.

I chose the Meade 102 for the session because it is very light for its aperture;but it really needs a better focuser as the stock model is on the sloppy and coarse side!

Friday night solid clouds hide the setting sun and are still there quite a bit later so am on the computer.

#673 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Peter-Hope your thumb gets better, remember car door vs. thumb...car door always wins.

Big C-Nice report sorry we both can't see that dang comet.

#674 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Seeing conditions haven't been that good in my area. Maybe tonight or Sunday evening will show promise! Luckily I've good some good astronomy reading material piled up so I'm getting caught up with that :grin:

#675 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Big C. Pleased you were able to get out at last and spend some time observing some great old favorites. I try to spend time each year in and around Ursa Major.
I think we all have problems from time to time with security/street lights but you seem to have made the best of it.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics