Photo

Hope some of you guys are out there tonight....

• Please log in to reply
806 replies to this topic

#751 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've taken the 4th weekend off and am in a pretty dark area. Am able to see the Milky Way. The last 2 nights have been great weather wise. Have had lots of family outreach going on. Had 8 kids and 6 adults waiting at the eyepiece. Saturn is of course every ones favorite.

It's nice to finally see things like the Veil and the Swan. I didn't realize the Ring is so bright. Simply amazing. Hope to get back here w/o the family to do some imaging within the next 2 weeks.

#752 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

James - Well that sounds like a pretty good 4th holiday to me! It's nice to be able to get to a dark sky and sounds like you are getting some good views. I'm sure your time out there will be remembered by all and maybe there are some new astronomers as a result of your willingness to show others what Astronomy is!! :bow: Hope you get more clear weather and lots of clear sky!

#753 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

If the weather channel forecast holds out, I will be out around midnight until dawn. Supposed to be clear skies. :fingerscrossed:

#754 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

Similar situation here Ben. We are enjoying clear blue daytime skies but for the past two nights a blanket of thin white cloud has ruined my chances of observing. Serves me right for buying another scope. :lol:
I'll not give in though. I will stick to the routine of a few hours nap in the early evening and then sit up and wait for that elusive clear dark sky.:flexible:
Pleased to read that some of us are having better luck observing and thanks for using this thread. It makes it a good reverence point for visual observing. :bow: :bow:

Regards. Peter.

#755 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

Peter - What our problem is here in the south is humidity. I took the binos out just to test the skies. The humidity was so high that seeing was terrible. I stayed out for about 30 minutes and just gave up. I think I'll just give up until about September or so. In the mean time, I'll just get a few things to prepare for my fall observing time.

#756 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Clouds last night but I've been catching up on reading instead :grin: My area (near Austin) is what I'd consider humid. Not as bad as when I lived near Houston though, g...

#757 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

Clouds last night but I've been catching up on reading instead :grin: My area (near Austin) is what I'd consider humid. Not as bad as when I lived near Houston though, g...

Same here. I kept poking my head out at different times this weekend hoping for some clear skies but it was not to be.
Some folks went out to Mansfield Dam but never bothered to unpack due the clouds not giving away enough to setup.

#758 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hi John, We must not live to far apart (Meadows of Brushy Creek). I haven't made it to Mansfield Dam in a long time. Guess a group still gathers there on Fridays! Tony

#759 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

Finished making my Solar filter so managed some Solar observing yesterday afternoon. It was far too hot (30+deg) to sit behind the scope for long, so I left the scope tracking while I pottered around the garden, popping back for 5 minute observing sessions every so often.
As luck would have it, I also managed 45 minutes or so on the Moon last night. It was low in the S.W and I finely lost it to the clouds.
Not much I know, but after the baron spell I've had of late, it was good to hear the motors turning.

Regards. Peter.

#760 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Got some viewing time in last night. The wife and I went looking for a dark site. I brought along the binos. we ended up at the gun range. it was so dark you could see the band of the Milky Way. we didn't stay long because it is supposed to be closed at dusk. I am going to contact the ranger station and see if I can setup a telescope there. It's in a blue area. I hope they say its OK.

#761 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Um.. Clouds, clouds, and oh.. More clouds.. Rain, rain, and more rain. My eye is starting to twitch. :twitch: :crazyeyes: I sat up the scope in the living room and did a fake alignment. My wife thinks I have lost it. :lol: :roflmao: :rofl5:

#762 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

Ben um what color is the sky in your world? :roflmao: I think your wife has a point. I would never let anyone "see" me do a fake alignment :bigblush:!

#763 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Ben
If you want to have some fun and really freak her out, try this.

1. Do a fake alignment.

2. Select a star that is approaching the meridian on the east side that will pass over just north of the zenith. This is an area known as the "Circle Of Reversal". It's the only area where the mount turns CCW in the northern hemisphere.

3. Allow the mount to track the star.

4. When it starts to do the fast motion around the north side of zenith then call your wife and tell her to watch the scope and listen to the motors. Make it sound important. When she looks at you strangely, just smile, lean back, and let out a long sigh.

#764 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

James - I have no idea what the color is. I see hints of blue every so often. :lol:

Eddie - That is just evil. I like it. :D

#765 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Just checked and it is still 98 deg F here at almost 9PM. I think it was 104 today. To hot to get out and it's clear enough to set up but just to dang hot for me :(

#766 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

108 here near Laredo. Tube currents anyone?

#767 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

Matt, I thought it was hot here! Was that the current temp or the high you had today? What a shame because it is clear but I didn't check the transparency... stay cool :grin:

#768 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

If the wind will settle down I'll be observing tonight. :watching: :fingerscrossed: Its too strong at the moment(almost 19.00hrs), though there's still time as its not dark enough here until around 22.30hrs / 23.00hrs. Will do a report if the wind plays ball.

Strong winds beat me last night :4 although the seeing did not appear to be up to much, even the overhead stars were twinkling (always a bad sign). :lol:

Regards. Peter.

#769 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hi Peter

How hard is the wind blowing? At what speed does it become a problem for the CPC1100? I'm just hoping for some clear skies around the weekend to get some viewing in but it doesn't look good. Good luck on your session.

#770 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Peter - I hope the wind settles down for you. Not much fun when it is windy. I need to check and see what it looks like for my area... Good luck!

#771 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Peter - I hope that the winds die down so you can enjoy that really nice CPC1100. :praying:

#772 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

Hi Peter

How hard is the wind blowing? At what speed does it become a problem for the CPC1100? I'm just hoping for some clear skies around the weekend to get some viewing in but it doesn't look good. Good luck on your session.

Not so much the CPC1100 I'm worried about, it's more the P.O.D being lifted of its moorings. :grin:

Regards. Peter.

#773 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the good wishes lads. All to no avail I'm afraid. We had a big electrical storm with high winds and torrential rain. It was a spectacular sight and lasted, on and off, for a good 45 minutes.
So the heavens gave me a treat, all be it not the one I was hoping for.

Half a chance again tonight. I really want to give the CPC it's first full session.

Thanks again and I wish you all clear skies soon.

Regards. Peter.

#774 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the weather, Peter It sounds like what I battled with in June. Torrential rains pretty much every day for a month. Then in July nothing but more rain and clouds.

But on a great side note, I finally got an hour or so of some pretty good observing. Weather channel showed a window from 3ish to around 5am. So, I set my alarm clock and got up. Sure enough, the skies were clear. :woohoo: Although the seeing wasn't quite there, the skies were clear enough for me to enjoy some bino viewing. They did fog up, so I was like, it's Saturday morning, I am going to use the wife's hair dryer. Once the binos were defogged, I went to observing. Got to see the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) and got to see the Pleiades. Not a long viewing session as the clouds rolled back in, but a satisfying one. My eye quit twitching. :lol: :roflmao: :rofl2:

#775 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Yippee! Last night was clear as a bell, the kiddies were off to bed at 9:30 and I got to set up the SE for 2 hours of viewing time. I didn't care about the 15 to 20 mph gusts. Two things happened that got me concerned. While setting up my tube was fore loaded and the alt clutch slipped :foreheadslap:. No harm after I loaded it up with diagonal and an eyepiece but I will now need to tighten it up. Second problem after replacing the secondary mirror screws with Bob's Knobs I now need to collimate. At least that went well. I got the scope aligned quickly but everything seemed off(alt clutch?). I had to use precise goto to see most objects. By the time I got set up Saturn was behind a building. Went to M27 and M57 which are good targets in the city. It also helps having a O3 filter. I had a very hard time finding M13 and M92 so I went after some doubles and open clusters. I don't know if the atmosphere was very transparent or that I just never noticed it before but I could see Sagittarius. At least the teapot hovering over the roof tops. Wish it was Saturday night to stay out longer but after a long lag in observing it was fun to be out :grin:.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics