• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hello

I was sitting at work on Thursday, and I noticed that the sun had come out to play so I went home to do some astronomy, you've got to get your priorities straight haven't you?

I set up my scope at about 15:30 and then began to search for Jupiter using my 50mm finder, and my 50mm binos.
There was a bit of whispy cloud still in the air, but by 16:30 it had cleared and I was able to spot Jupiter in my finder.

The first sketch was made at 16:45.
The sun was still 5° above the horizon and the sky in the eyepiece was so bright that it washed Jupiter out quite a lot; a yellow filter helped with this a little and I was able to pick out a fair bit of detail. The seeing was good, about Ant II.

The SEB revival area stretched right across the disc and was a mottled tan colour with slightly darker edges.
The NEB sported it's usual ( for this year) mix of white ovals right on the Northern edge, and darker ovals nearer the middle.

The Southern tropics were notably darker and browner than the North, which was smooth and orange.

The seeing became terrible as the sun set at about 17:15 so I had a break.

The second sketch was made at 17:30, the sky was by now much darker, Jupiter was visible to the naked eye if you knew where, and the moons were visible in the eyepiece.

The planet's rotation had carried the middle section of the SEB revival across the disc and now the tail end was visible. There was an extremely narrow white rift starting near to the LHS limb and widening as it crossed to the other side of the disc. Its edges were noticeably lumpy, uneven and wave-like; it widened as it crossed the disc until the SEB was reduced to a pair of parallel dark lines close to the RHS limb.

There was a dark brown mass in the SEB just to the right of the CM, it appeared to project southwards out of the belt slightly.

The STB was noted during this observation and it was not seen in the first sketch.

Seeing was Ant II to III this time, again a yellow filter was used as well as the unfiltered view.

Both sketches at 218X

Attached Files

#2 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

second sketch

Attached Files

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

Totally stunning. Fabulous sketches!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Chris,

:waytogo:, on your sketchse of Jupiter, I never though it could be done, while the Sun is up.

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

Chris,

Excellent sketches. When Mars, Jupiter or Saturn are at or near quadrature you can get some terrific daytime views with good sky transparency. These sketches you have recorded here are wonderful.

Frank :)
The yellow filters work great as does a 'single' polarizing filter rotated to darken the blue sky.

#6 mike174

mike174

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

Super.

I have to try that. Didn't get much observing time with Jupiter this time.

Mike

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Chris,
Outstanding observation and sketches--details are very well rendered as are the afternoon sky condtions. :cool:

#8 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:11 AM

hi Chris,

good work- nice and detailed sketches :bow:.
The dark spots in the SEB looks like very interesting.

Bye
Christian

#9 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

very nice jupiter sketch, good idea trying a daytime view.

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:13 AM

Chris,

Excellent daylight/twilight observations of Jupiter. You have recorded an impressive amount of detail over the planet, especially the re-emerging SEB. Many observers are surprised that such detail is visible in the daytime sky.

Your observations remind me of the views of Jupiter that my friend (Jeffrey D. Beish) and I enjoyed when we first visually detected the Shoemaker-Levy 9 (S-L 9) impact A site over the southern hemisphere of Jupiter in the late afternoon of July 16, 1994. That was a sight!

Link: http://www.maa.mhn.d...raga_jeffb2.png

Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#11 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

Thank you all

Carlos, are those drawings yours or Jeffrey's? They look pretty detailed.

#12 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:01 AM

Chris,

The impacts of the multiple (21) fragments comprising the shattered comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 between the dates of July 16-21, 1994 was an exciting event for all mankind. We finally were able to witness the impact of a celestial object (comet) into a planetary body (atmosphere) instead of studying the after effects (e.g. craters) of such events.

Many experts were predicting that the fragments would not produce a visible mark over the atmosphere of Jupiter, but Jeffrey Beish, Donald Parker, and I practiced for the possibility of a "scar" being produced by the impacts (explosions) of the comet fragments over the atmosphere of Jupiter. The date of the first cometary impact (Fragment A (or 21; the number sequence was opposite to the lettering) on July 16, 1994 Jeff and I set up his excellent 16-inch (40-cm) F/6.9 Newtonian reflector on a hot, muggy afternoon in South Florida. We had practiced to locate Jupiter in the daytime using setting circles (offsetting from the Sun) and found the king of the planets in the eyepiece field at approximately 03:30 P.M. EDT (19:30 U.T.). The image of Jupiter was boiling and little detail was visible except for the prominent North Equatorial Belt (NEB) and South Equatorial Belt (SEB). At approximately 04:30 P.M. (20:30 U.T.) Jeff noticed a dark patch over the South Temperate Zone (STZ) on the following limb of the planet (the approximate latitude of the impacts), but due to the seeing conditions was not able to confirm that this was the impact site (at the time it was believed the impacts would produce a white spot and not a dark one). As the seeing improved Jeff noted the dark patch become more prominent until finally at 05:55 P.M. (22:55 U.T.) he confirmed that it was the Fragment A (21) impact site over the southern hemisphere of Jupiter. I was able to confirm his sighting shortly afterwards. Our friend Donald C. Parker (noted astroimager) was able to image the impact site at 07:06 P.M. (00:06 U.T. on July 17, 1994). We also sighted the Fragment B (20) impact (observing what appeared to be a "bow shock" over the following limb at the time of the impact) later that night at 10:35 P.M. (03:35 U.T.) although no impact scar was produced (officially classified as a non-event or dud impact). Throughout the week Don, Jeff, and I were able to observe and image the rest of the impact sites from South Florida. John Rogers (BAA Jupiter Section Coordinator) wrote an excellent article on the event (see link below) which contains many observations and images produced by amateurs around the world which includes many of my montages of the different impact sites over time. The impact event was a highlight of life as it was for many people around the world.

Links:
http://www.maa.mhn.d...Html/beish.html
http://www.britastro..._impact_SL9.pdf
http://en.wikipedia....hoemaker-Levy_9
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/

Carlos

#13 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

Chris

Beautiful sketch work! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I am curious as to what medium you are using. You say only pencil but I assume you mean several colored pencils. Also, what is the size of your drawing and the paper texture and format? Thanks for any info.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#14 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

Mark

Thanks for the compliment!
I have to return it by saying that the work on your website is pretty excellent too!

I use Velour paper. A very faint 4b pencil sketch first. Then I build up colours with layers of pastel pencils (a total mixture of about four brands I have collected) and more 4b where required. Block pastels and chalks are also added for the washed out look in the daylight sketches.
Jupiter's disc is 160mm across

best regards

#15 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

Chris

Thanks for the compliments on my art. It has been a long progression as a culmination from childhood, at times accomplished yet at moments now and then where I realize that I could have made better efforts before releasing a work online too soon as only uncompleted or badly photographed under insufficient lighting or camera. Some of that childhood art and up through high school and early college is at the mid-page of my website > www.markseibold.com

It is interesting to hear from your techniques of layering differing mediums as like a few others here in the CN sketch forums that use these layering techniques. I know that many who are new to sketching will only assume that this is all only a two-dimensional art form- It is not. I hope they read into your description here as I have also indicated my use of many layering techniques for years. Herein also lies the problem of copying our art into an online screen as these online images never seem to really represent standing live in front of the real art and viewing it under varying ambient room lighting which can reveal the layering when viewed up close. Many assume today that everything they see in the Online world is only two dimensional. As one of the main contributors here in the US and to our CN forum and the Sketch Art book, Jeremy Perez will be presenting a lecture and public presentation on astronomy sketch art on April 30th in Wisconsin. I think many who attend this event should see some original art up close to witness what great effort goes into these great works of literally technical and ‘three-dimensional-art’.

Now you have me wondering about your Saturn image as your profile avatar. Is that too also a sketch as it appears in that small thumbnail as if photo-realism? Either way, it too is a beautiful image of Saturn.

I look forward to seeing your future observations and sketching. I'll have to take a closer look at your gallery now.

Thanks again fro sharing your information about materials and your process.

Mark
My CN Gallery

#16 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

Mark

I've just had another look at your website, and I think it may be one I come back to in the future. Especially since you use pastels too, and produce suck striking work.
You've got me thinking about when I get my observatory set up (one day...), I can have a proper drawing surface next to the telescope and attempt some large drawings like your moon discs and deep sky objects. I never really got into Lunar drawing, I think once you start drawing the moon, and seeing the same features under different illumination conditions, you get hooked on it. Something to look forward to...

Re the layering, I find it is the only way to achieve the correct look, and if different parts of that require different techniques, then that's what I do.

The saturn image is a sketch from this apparition, when shrunk down that small it does become quite crisp.

I have been drawing the planets and brighter DSO's commets etc etc, for eight years (I think) I haven't made a gallery or a Website yet, I guess I should do it some day.

regards

#17 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

Chris

I was hoping that you might have displayed that Saturn sketch earlier in a post in larger size. I am only judging from the small thumbnail avatar, yet it appears that you captured the "roll-off" of light at the planets edge of disc quite well as it is observed live in the telescope eyepiece. This shows your great effort and practiced skill in the blending of pastels as an artist to represent a very realistic image as observed.

I have not really taken the time to effect proper blending in my earlier planetary renderings which were rushed to post at a moments event in the sky as I have done more so recently on my lunar sketches and a few Deep Sky Objects such as my M42 in dark and light polluted skies comparison sketch in my gallery. I have tended to lean toward the artists conceptions at the bottom of my recent sketches as people have demanded it. It may have been my earliest influences of seeing the artist conceptions as if standing on planets in books in my elementary school library, possibly some by Chesley Bonestell that were my earliest influences to purchasing my first telescope as already labeled as the classroom artist in grade school- Also seeing his renderings in 1950's Sci-Fi movie backdrops that my father asked me to watch. Note the Sky & Telescope issue and article about Saturn I am holding here as a 14 year old >

#18 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Mark

I did post the Saturn sketches previously;
If you click my user name, go to the bottom of the page and click 'show all user's posts', then go to the second page of posts, you will find three saturn images posted on the 16th, 19th and 20th jan. I'm afraid that the avatar looks much better than the full size image, because when it was shrunk so much all the graininess and pencil marks shrunk too, and became invisible. Smoothness is always my aim with my drawings, I have found the velour paper helpful but I still would like to find better techniques. See what you think.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics