No replies to this topic

#1 pubquiz

pubquiz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hi All

While setting up for imaging last night I found that the Dec readout on my Argo Navis wasn't working.

I didn't have much time for a full investigation as I wanted to get on with the imaging but I did try swapping the dec and az leads around and narrowed it down to a problem with either the handbox or the leads as both encoders were working fine.

Anyway in the light of a new day I turned it on this morning and found that there was no display at all!

I also smelled a rusty musty smell from the handbox and immedialtely knew what the problem might be.

I took off the battery cover and yes like an idiot I had left the batteries in (for months) and they had totally ooozed and there was brown runny sticky stuff everywhere :(

Oh no I thought it is goosed!

So I took it all apart and thoroughly cleaned it all...some was on the circuit board as well which I throughly cleaned and dried ...must have been a drop shorting something out causing the initial dec readout problem.

All the battery contact springy wires were rotted through!

Anyway after a thorough clean I plugged it in and it all works fine :jump:

I only left the batteries in because sometimes in use the power plug had pulled out entailing a re alignment...it is always used with a power supply as it is permanently in my observatory.....I KNOW..it says clearly in the book don't leave batteries in so I know I shouldn't have done...I have slapped my own wrists :ooo:

So I have removed all remnants of coroded battery springs and sealed off the wires to the battery compartment.

I have securely taped the power plug on the handbox so it doesn't fall out in use.

So have a check on your batts if they have been in any of your equipment a while and take them out when not in use!

A lesson learned.:o

BTW I am sure if I would have had to have the Argo repaired I would have got good service...I have had some excellent immediate replies from Gary at Wildcard Innovations to my questions over the years..great customer service.

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics