"Stiff" TV EQ mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have an old TV EQ mount. It was made by Carton for them.
It worked fine in the warm weather but now (winter Ohio) it is very stiff and I don't think my clock drive will drive it. It is actually hard to turn the slow motion controls by hand.
Anyone have any drawings or directions as to how to disassemble? I think it need different grease for Ohio! Is there any way to adjust the clutches?
It came from California. It would probably work fine there. Thanks; Don T.

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

I have a Vixen Polaris that acts the same way. It has very fluid motion but gets a little stiff when it is cold. I'm in Florida so it is not a big issue. It uses what looks like a thick silicone based lubricant and with mine the stiff in the cold issue has become worse with age. I would call Tele Vue and see what they remember about these mounts which may include instructions on disassembly and recomandations for a proper lubricant to use to relube. They are wonderful people to talk to.

#3 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

I have talked to TV a long time ago abought this mount. No one remembers much abought it and they do not have a manual or drawings. Thanks; Don T.

#4 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sunny Southern Ontario

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

probably won't show you a lot, but if it will make your day, send me a private email and I will send you a copy of this;

[Moderators edit: deleted scanned copy of copyrighted image - please review TOS and provide LINKS to images for which you do not hold copyright]

#5 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Well it is not stiff anymore.
I took it partway apart and sprayed a light oil into both ends of the declination and RA and then worked them by hand.
I did not remove the shafts. That was probably the best way but what I did worked. Don T.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics