CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Stiff" TV EQ mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have an old TV EQ mount. It was made by Carton for them.
It worked fine in the warm weather but now (winter Ohio) it is very stiff and I don't think my clock drive will drive it. It is actually hard to turn the slow motion controls by hand.
Anyone have any drawings or directions as to how to disassemble? I think it need different grease for Ohio! Is there any way to adjust the clutches?
It came from California. It would probably work fine there. Thanks; Don T.

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Apollo

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

I have a Vixen Polaris that acts the same way. It has very fluid motion but gets a little stiff when it is cold. I'm in Florida so it is not a big issue. It uses what looks like a thick silicone based lubricant and with mine the stiff in the cold issue has become worse with age. I would call Tele Vue and see what they remember about these mounts which may include instructions on disassembly and recomandations for a proper lubricant to use to relube. They are wonderful people to talk to.

#3 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

I have talked to TV a long time ago abought this mount. No one remembers much abought it and they do not have a manual or drawings. Thanks; Don T.

#4 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

probably won't show you a lot, but if it will make your day, send me a private email and I will send you a copy of this;

[Moderators edit: deleted scanned copy of copyrighted image - please review TOS and provide LINKS to images for which you do not hold copyright]

#5 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Well it is not stiff anymore.
I took it partway apart and sprayed a light oil into both ends of the declination and RA and then worked them by hand.
I did not remove the shafts. That was probably the best way but what I did worked. Don T.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics