• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• *----
  • Loc: Merced CA

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'd like to try imaging a few objects I cannot normally see with my scope like IC 2118. Since I am not familiar with object, It's difficult for me to reference if it's framed correctly. I was wondering if the accuracy of Tpoint is to the level that I can safely assume it's in the FOV of my CCD

#2 ScottD

ScottD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, CO

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

I see that you have TheSky and Maxim. Using those, you can run through the following and it should help get you right on target.

First, you'll need to install TheSky's ASCOM driver if you don't already have it. Next, setup TheSky to control your mount and allow Maxim to control your mount via TheSky's ASCOM driver.

Once you've slewed to your target, shoot an image, say 5 sec. Next, use Pinpoint via Maxim to perform a plate solve and then sync your mount to the RA/DEC that was solved.

What you'll see when looking at TheSky is that you're now slightly off target. Now slew to your target again and you should be almost dead center.

#3 g__day

g__day

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

I use the cheaper, less capable MaxPoint with an 80 star model. This improves pointing accuracy on permanently pier mounted Vixen Atlux from 3 arc minutes to about 57 arc seconds.

Plate solves as mentioned above should help - can you just used Maxim or do you need pinpoint as well (or is this included with the latest Maxim)?

#4 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

I use TPoint. I used it last night to re-align my mount (Paramount ME) and build a new pointing model after having removed/reinstalled the OTA and guidescope.

For me, TPoint + The SkyX Pro + BackyardEOS + Paramount ME provides an incredibly painless and fast method of perfecting polar alignment and improving pointing accuracy.

#5 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• *----
  • Loc: Merced CA

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Thanks, I've just to figure out how to use it before I buy it. When I tried it, my mount wouldn't slew any longer, and I had to shut it down and restart it.

#6 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:49 AM

Maxpoint works great for me at 1800mm focal length. But once I started doing plate solves and syncs, I ditched any pointing model immediately.

#7 Sharkman

Sharkman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nelson, New Zealand

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

I'd like to try imaging a few objects I cannot normally see with my scope like IC 2118. Since I am not familiar with object, It's difficult for me to reference if it's framed correctly. I was wondering if the accuracy of Tpoint is to the level that I can safely assume it's in the FOV of my CCD

TPoint will help improve tracking accuracy, not pointing accuracy. PEMPro is another similar tool.

For pointing, if you re-sync your mount to the location of a nearby well-known star, then go-to the target location, you should be pretty close, assuming your mount is polar aligned reasonably well.

#8 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

TPoint will help improve tracking accuracy, not pointing accuracy.

I had always thought that TPoint DID improve pointing accuracy... I went out to the TPoint site to see if I remembered corerectly. (Maybe I'm just splitting hairs or the claim on the site is marketing jargon.) Either way, the software does work very well for me.

From the Software Bisque TPoint site...
TPoint Add On to TheSkyX (Mac or Windows)
Achieve better pointing accuracy , spend less time centering objects and more time observing.

The optional TPoint Add On to TheSkyX Professional Edition or Serious Astronomer Edition for Mac or Windows is telescope analysis and pointing correction software that identifies, quantifies and automatically compensates for systematic errors in "go to" telescopes. It can also quantify the polar alignment of your equatorial mount, even when the celestial pole is not visible. You collect “pointing data” (either manually or automated) by slewing the telescope to a set of stars using TheSkyX and then recording the pointing error at each position (a single button click). TPoint uses this data to create a statistical model that automatically corrects repeatable errors each time the telescope is slewed.

#9 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

Tpoint improves pointing accuracy (for any mount). When used with ProTrack, tracking accuracy is also improved. So far as I know, at this time ProTrack can only be used with the Paramount GT-1100S, Paramount ME and Paramount MX mounts.

#10 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

MaxPoint at least is a pointing only app, it does nothing for tracking.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics