CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod vs. Portable Pier?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 DFV10191

DFV10191

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Ok, I think I've finally settled on an iOptron iEQ45 mount after reading the "EPIC" thread and other comments posted here on CN...but now I have another quandry.
What are some thoughts on a standard tripod vs a portable pier? :thinking:
iOptron offers the '45 with either (the pier is an extra $180 if ordered at the same time as the mount instead of the tripod - otherwise it is $400 later).
Initially, I'm interested in visual, but I intend to move towards astro-imaging, too as funds and skills allow.

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Moderators

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

They both have their pros and cons. A pier will be more "solid" but a tripod gives you adjustable heights.

#3 SPACEMAN

SPACEMAN

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hello,

Personaly i don't think a pier gives you a more solid construction... because a pier goes straight down and maybe then with some legs spreading out. A tripod go's from the top in a triangle down... This results in a bigger array where the weight of the whole setup can be put on.

Sorry for my bad englisch.

#4 morden8uk

morden8uk

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

Hi There,

Had both.. now only own a steel leg tripod. Its a lot easier to cart in and out of the shed.. The Pier was nice, but sooo heavy!!

#5 Asimov

Asimov

Skylab

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

You can have the best of all worlds if it's built correctly. Lightweight & portable, yet a lot more robust & less suseptible to vibrations than a tripod. Adjustable height for levelling. In this case, I've made mine so it can carry two mounts; EQ6 & the CGE.

Attached Files

#6 Asimov

Asimov

Skylab

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics