• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 makemeshutter

makemeshutter

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: rumson new jersey

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

I have a chance to purchase a new unused Vixen Sphinx sxw with starbook for a really great price. I want to use it with a Televue np101is scope Is this a good mount, and is it a good combo?

#2 Cosmosphil

Cosmosphil

Apollo

• Loc: So. California

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Jerry,

This is more than enough mount for your NP101is.
I think both visual and imaging.
It has excellent fit and finish as all Vixen products.
The starbook is not so friendly for imagers as its geared more to us visual folks. You get a realtime star chart on the controller and move to the objects rather punch numbers into a box. The sky moves as the mount does and zooms in or out. Some imagers hate it. YMMV
I have the heavier duty SXD but your mount is essentially indentical other than the weight capacity. Mine holds a TEC140 almost rock solid for visual.
I believe the lighter mount is rated at about 23 lbs which is fine for a NP101.

#3 vpcirc

vpcirc

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Merced CA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

I own the sxd, the only recommendation I have is to get the polar scope. That scope is probably the best out there and eliminates any need to drift align. I have mine done in 5-10 mins, and since I have it on a permanent pier, I can leave it for weeks at a time.

#4 sctchun

sctchun

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: On a rock in the middle of the ocean

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

I have the SXW and I would also recommend the polar alignment scope, it helps get to imaging much faster. Anyway, I found using the starbook a bit easier to perform alignments, since I'm still learning where stars are located and it gives visual hints at where it is located. I have mine loaded up with a 8" Newt and had no problems taking up to 5 minute subs unguided.

Edit: the mount is rated up to 12Kg or around 25 lbs (for imaging)

Steven

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics