An Experiment in sketching Active Region 1164

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

This experimental sketch was done at the eyepiece of my PST 40 h alpha telescope with an 8mm TVP eyepiece.
I used soft pastel and a craft needle to create the drawing. The drawing is not rotated so South is up.
Bray, Co Wicklow , Ireland.

I observed this active region from 12:00 UT on February 28th till 13:30 UT. The plage around the main sunspot suddenly brightened at 12:47 UT and remained very bright for several minutes before reducing its vividness.

The brightness in this action was very difficult to capture in a sketch, especially one that was experimental in the first place. Several dark filaments were formed and were forming in the area. Two new short dull filaments began looping over the bright area before I finished sketching.

Active region fibrils were making their usual dramatic shapes around the entire area. There were several sunspots in the group but I chose to look at the larger one and the region around it by tuning and focusing many times while sketching. A small prom was developing on the North limb and several tiny proms were making an effort.

Deirdre Kelleghan
My Website

Attached Files

#2 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:46 AM

It looks like you have plied up the pastel heavily onto the paper, am I right?
It's a nice effect and I think one which shows promise, what are you going to do about fixing it though?

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

Dee,

:waytogo:on your very nice sketch :cool:.

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

Dee,

Good to see one of your fine drawings. :) Reproducing the texture and look of the view in H alpha is a real challenge, especially in color, so I understand why you call this an experiment. What do you think about it? I done several experimental sketches in Ha and I still haven't achieved what I'm looking for. I like the surface appearance. I like the way the proms look, btw.

#5 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

Chris I use Windsor & Newton Satin Varnish spray to fix these layered sketches. It locks them down real good :-)

#6 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Thanks Niteskygazer

Dee

#7 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Michael , I have been trying for years to capture the sun and its activities on paper. It will most likely take me many more years trying, but there is a lot of fun and learning in trying.

Yes the sun is very complex in h alpha and so many layers to bring to Earth. I am on a bit of a roll here with this approach my sketch next day on March 1st has made another step toward something better. Will post tomorrow maybe.
I am looking forward to a complex feature laden sun soon as I have this method sorted out. Maybe twenty years or so :-)

Dee

Dee

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

Dee

This is very nice to see you experimenting with the sun in h-alpha sketches made with pastels. This is a beautiful sketch! :bow: :bow: :bow: I am overdue to produce another large solar sketch and now seeing that the sun is returning to activity.

The sun is what prompted and actually launched my pastel works in late October 2006
http://www.spaceweat...=2006&view=view when I first saw white Conte Crayon sketch works on black paper by Erika Rix in Spaceweather.com which eventually lead to my works there and once in NASA’s Astro Pic of the Day but I never use fixatives. > http://apod.nasa.gov...d/ap061117.html

I understand that fixatives can dull the colors and can actually cause subtle dilution and "mixing" or diluting of the artwork directly and immediately on the paper if applied too close and heavy. I feel that this might cause a loss of our subtle details that we initially sketch as astronomey artists. Although I purchased the most expensive fixative from Switzerland called "Lascaux" recently with intentions to apply it to a large pastel I did for John Dobson on his 95th birthday that I hand delivered to him at a Griffith Park Observatory party in LA and framed with spaced covered glass in my hotel room last September. I decided not to use the fixative on it. You may have inspired me to try it on some of my older works as I keep them stored in large portfolios with rice paper covering each and some of them are smearing now from mishandling on my part. I hear the experts say- Do not spray it directly to the work but just spray it into the air a few feet about the work, allowing the fixative to lightly fall in a fine mist and onto the pastel art paper.

I look forward to seeing your future pastel colored sketch works of the sun in h-alpha.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

Dee,

Ask and I receive. This is a most beautiful sketch.
Always a great pleasure to see your work. Those children have a great teacher in you.
Wonderful ! :rainbow:

Frank :)

#10 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Thank you so much Frank :-)

Dee

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Dee, just noticed your nic attached to this thread and had to pop in for a look see. You have talent. Another salute. :)

#12 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

Thanks again Norme , very nice of you to say.

Deirdre

#13 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Dee,

An excellent observation of the active region 1164. Your needle sketch is a very interesting one. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#14 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Nice sketch and website.

#15 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

Thank you Carlos my craft needle creates a kind of etching effect.

Deirdre

#16 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Rutilus , I love sketching the sun and the moon.
Deirdre

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics