CGEM Tripod Adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

Our club had a CGEM donated to us, but I hate the tripod. We also have a CGE Pro which is on a pier which frees up the CGE Pro tripod. I know that the CGEM DX uses the same tripod, but has anyone adapted the CGEM to sit on a Pro tripod besides Celestron?

Seems silly that we'd have to spend $600 bucks to get another tripod like we already have.

For that matter, we also have a Meade giant tripod which would be just as good if an adapter existed for it.

#2 SchrödingersCat

SchrödingersCat

Ranger 4

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

IIRC opticalsupports.com will fabricate whatever adapter you need.

#3 mak7

mak7

Messenger

• Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

drksky,
If you still have the flimsy CGEM tripod(same as the CG5)you might want to at least look at a TPI spreader. It transformed my CGEM tripod into more than capable for the scopes in my signature. A beefier tripod certainly helps and I didn't want to have something custom made. Never checked any custom prices either.
The TPI spreader really made the difference for me.
Brad

Attached Files

#4 Garry

Garry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belleville, MI

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

Tony,

Maybe Celestron will make the "mount tripod adapter" available. See page 4 of the CGEM DX manual on C's site.
Nothing to lose by asking them.

Good luck,
Garry

#5 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

I have and they have answered that "it's a new product, so we aren't sure if we will make that piece available".

In other words, "screw you and buy a new tripod already!" :D

#6 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

Considering how difficult it has been in the past to get parts from them, I am not suprised. I checked their site and do not see just the tripod listed. Not that I would go that route, but it would be interesting to see if a standard CGEM head would fit the new tripod without modification and how much the retail price would be for just the tripod with the adapter.

#7 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

And that's what I'm after. I'm sure I could design something and have it made, but at what cost? The adapter that they are including with the DX looks like it's cast, which would be much cheaper than something milled from a solid aluminum chunk.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics