G-11: Use Losmondy or ADM Saddle?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

OK, I am finding it tough to get my C11 to slide into the end of the saddle plate that came with my G-11. While the ADM site seems silent on the matter, it looks like their plate allows the dovetail on the scope to tilt into their saddle without having to slide it in from the end. This would be much easier!

Thoughts?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

The ADM saddle does allow a tip in from the side (also called side loading) Terry. I personally find this approach much easier and safer when mounting my C11 (I have the ADM SbS on my CGE). The only issue I've had with the ADM saddles is that sometimes they don't release immediately after backing off the bolts, but a slight wiggle and the plate always pops open.

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

OK, I am finding it tough to get my C11 to slide into the end of the saddle plate that came with my G-11. While the ADM site seems silent on the matter, it looks like their plate allows the dovetail on the scope to tilt into their saddle without having to slide it in from the end. This would be much easier!

Thoughts?

Neither.

When you need to get it done - do it right Robin Casady all the way :)

Regards,

skybsd

#4 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

I second the Robin Casady Saddle. I use one to mount my 14 inch Meade scope on the G11. Easy to use.

#5 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

Thoughts?

Neither.

When you need to get it done - do it right Robin Casady all the way :)

Regards,

skybsd

I agree.

GN

#6 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks fellows. Should have known I'd get the right info here. Just ordered the 14" plate from Robin Casady. Expensive but anything that makes it easier to use will result in actually using it rather than let it sit.

#7 Rudra

Rudra

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

I have a C14 and a Losmandy G-11 mount. I find it difficult to slide in the dovetail of the OTA on the G-11 saddle. I was thinking of if Robert Casady saddle would actually solve the problem, as you would mount the OTA on the saddle from the side. Am I right? Would I be needing to change the dovetail too?

#8 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

I have a C14 and a Losmandy G-11 mount. I find it difficult to slide in the dovetail of the OTA on the G-11 saddle. I was thinking of if Robert Casady saddle would actually solve the problem, as you would mount the OTA on the saddle from the side. Am I right? Would I be needing to change the dovetail too?

Well, that is the whole idea and why I ordered the Casady saddle. There should be no need for a new dovetail. Mind, mine has not shipped yet so I have not actually done this yet. I can't imagine hefting a C-14 and sliding it into the end of the saddle! I have trouble doing that with the C-11.

My question is why Losmondy chooses to supply saddles built so you have to do it that way in the first place? Did not this method of mounting originate with photo gear? I have never seen a photo set up that demanded sliding the gear into the end of the clamp.

#9 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi Terry,

I don't have C11/C14 but a little smaller and lighter Vixen VMC260L on G11 mount. VMC260L has a long rail Vixen (what else? :) dovetail across tube length. I replaced original Losmandy saddle with ADM dual saddle, which accepts both Vixen and Losmandy D dovetail plate.

However, I felt sliding large scope into D/Vixen saddle was always problematic when I do it alone. I decided to ditch rail and to get Parallax tube rings on Losmandy D dovetail plate. I install tube rings on dovetail plate and slide it into Losmandy saddle without scope. Then I mount scope on tube rings. I feel this is much secure way to mount the scope.

By the way, original Losmandy D saddle is a little narrower so that some dovetail plate (William Optics one for example) may not go in. I found both Robin Casady and ADM saddle work with all my dovetail plates.

Tammy

#10 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

Thanks, Tammy. I am hoping to hear from Casady that my plate has shipped.

#11 ovgjr

ovgjr

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PA, USA

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

I second the Robin Casady Saddle. I use one to mount my 14 inch Meade scope on the G11. Easy to use.

Quick question. How does the G11 perform with a 14" Meade?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics