• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi, I am looking to upgrade from an 80mm Refractor to an 8" Reflector. If I were to just get the tube, I would prefer to use my current tripod. I am also assuming that I would need to replace the mounting plate. If it was necassary to replace them, how would I do so? Here is a pic of my mount.

Attached Files

#2 Ps191

Ps191

Vostok 1

• Loc: E.OR.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hello Chris,
I do not think your mount will work with a bigger telescope; and if it is the size I think it is, it will defiantly not work with an 8" reflector, although it may hold a small CAT.

IF you were to use your mount you would need tube rings and a dovetail plate to fasten a telescope to it. (Note: links are to illustrate product - you will need to size the component to your application)

Although the focal lengths are not the same, buying this telescope as an OTA will only save you $20 over buying this telescope. I am not recommending any telescope brand or telescope size but simply pointing out if you don't mind a Dobsonian mount you will find the complete scope relatively inexpensive compared to the OTA. If you are trying to save money (always a wise idea) then consider buying used.

Best Regards,

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I am going to be a bit more commital.

This WON'T work.

Get a bigger mount.

#4 Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for your imput. I am fine looking for a Dob. I also was considering used to begin with.

#5 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:32 AM

That looks like a skywatcher eq2. With a 5 inch reflector on it any touch would set up vibrations. Works but it takes patience.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics