CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Modifying mount for bigger telescope

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi, I am looking to upgrade from an 80mm Refractor to an 8" Reflector. If I were to just get the tube, I would prefer to use my current tripod. I am also assuming that I would need to replace the mounting plate. If it was necassary to replace them, how would I do so? Here is a pic of my mount.

Attached Files

#2 Ps191

Ps191

Vostok 1

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hello Chris,
I do not think your mount will work with a bigger telescope; and if it is the size I think it is, it will defiantly not work with an 8" reflector, although it may hold a small CAT.

IF you were to use your mount you would need tube rings and a dovetail plate to fasten a telescope to it. (Note: links are to illustrate product - you will need to size the component to your application)

Although the focal lengths are not the same, buying this telescope as an OTA will only save you $20 over buying this telescope. I am not recommending any telescope brand or telescope size but simply pointing out if you don't mind a Dobsonian mount you will find the complete scope relatively inexpensive compared to the OTA. If you are trying to save money (always a wise idea) then consider buying used.

Best Regards,

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I am going to be a bit more commital.

This WON'T work.

Get a bigger mount.

#4 Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for your imput. I am fine looking for a Dob. I also was considering used to begin with.

#5 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:32 AM

That looks like a skywatcher eq2. With a 5 inch reflector on it any touch would set up vibrations. Works but it takes patience.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics