Granite Gap

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bryan, Texas

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

I would like to know if any members are participating/building observatories in the Granite Gap development in New Mexico. Not living close to there, it has been hard to get information as to progress etc. It would be great to also talk to other participants for ideas etc.

#2 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hi Derek, my wife and I just returned from 3 days visiting Gene and Loy at Granite Gap, and have bought in. I'm taking the observatory design process slowly, trying to learn from experts and decide my priorities (currently visual only, but friends who visit may/will want to do AP). Maybe I will someday too. Lots to think about before giving anybody the go-ahead to pour concrete. I'm planning to review this forum in depth over the next month because I learn more from CN than anyplace else.

There were about six observatories under construction, several close to complete. The progress for the rest of the GG site (park model cabins, RV sites, museum) is still going slow. So far, every obs. design is ROR. Still just two park models on site, but guys were building decks on them when I was there. Still no completed power hookup, backhoe was still trenching to the site during our stay.

I still have no idea how I'm going to arrange time / transportation out there as frequently as I'd like to, since we live in New Hampshire. But I'm convinced it will be great and can't wait to get back. I will probably stop by in August on my way to Ca. for a business trip.

I can send you a link to some pics if you want. Send me a PM.

Ted

#3 mkk

mkk

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Noblesville, IN

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

Hey, Derek, my wife and I have bought an RV lot at Granite Gap and are planning our first visit in our motorhome this June. The RV lease comes with an observatory site, but we are not making plans for it yet. We plan to use our scopes on the RV lot, but we will check out the observatory options while there.

Gene and Loy are very helpful, but they are obviously busy. After reading Ted's note, I hope a few RV sites with hook ups will be done by June.

I think GG will be a great place.

#4 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

From reading the web page it says 6 months out of the year. Are there any year round options?

#5 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

From reading the web page it says 6 months out of the year. Are there any year round options?

I wonder if you bought two lots, could you then rotate and stay all year?? ;)

#6 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi Mark

I agree its going to be a nice place. It is by far the most affordable way of getting into a dark sky spot that I have found.

I am in the process of setting up a Yahoo group for GG so that information can be distributed among members more easily/quickly. I will let you know when it is up and running.

For those with questions about lease terms etc, would direct them to Gene. Being only a customer and not the vendor, I do not feel qualified to engage in that discussion.

#7 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

Wow I didnt' know about this even!!

I'm seriously thinking of buying in!

I'd probably just go RV pad, but heck, $2500 to reserve a pad for life that i could visit a few times a year? DONE!

#8 mkk

mkk

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Noblesville, IN

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Derek,
A Yahoo group for Granite Gap would be nice, so keep us posted on that. As more become aware of GG, the group would be useful.

We are looking forward to going this summer and using our RV site. Its a long haul from the Indianapolis area, but part of the vacation fun is getting there. Driving to dark skies beats working.

#9 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

I am interested in this...I live not too far (Tucson) and routinely camp and observe during the new moons from nearby Portal, AZ.

I am wondering what the light dome from nearby Lordsburg, NM was like? I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that it would be on the northeastern horizon?

I have visited the area, but only during the day...need to try it at night...

#10 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

I too would be interested to see what the light pollution is like having not yet been to the site.

#11 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

The light pollution overlay in Google Earth shows the site is black (i.e. no notable pollution). The light dome doesn't extend into the area. I have not been there, just relaying the overlay info.

I'm curious on the security in the area. With observatories there could be $100,000s of equipment in a pretty small area...

#12 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

I too would be interested to see what the light pollution is like having not yet been to the site.

According to a couple of the editors from Astronomy magazine, the skies at GG are "world class", whatever that means. I take that to mean very good.

#13 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

There is always a concern with security in remote observatory settings. Gene has told us that there will be someone living one site at all times. That should help significantly. If the popularity of the development increases to the point where that are always visitors present, then security should be better than most remote observatories. That is not to say that you are really safe esp from a determined knowledgeable thief.

#14 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

There is always a concern with security in remote observatory settings. Gene has told us that there will be someone living one site at all times. That should help significantly. If the popularity of the development increases to the point where that are always visitors present, then security should be better than most remote observatories. That is not to say that you are really safe esp from a determined knowledgeable thief.

Understood for sure. You can never avoid all issues, I was just curious on the overall approach.

#15 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

wow, even after you factor in your travel expenses to get there throughout the year - its still a heck of a great buy. Very interesting

#16 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

I agree it is a heck of an opportunity. That why I jumped in. It was cheaper to buy in to GG and factor in travel expenses than to purchase local property.

#17 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

I think it is something that should really be discussed/thought about. With the investment we put into these observatories, security is a big issue.

#18 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

I wish i could get a team of people to go in on it. members of our local club. Shoot, get enough people and it could cost you 500-600 a person. For a lifetime!

#19 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

I wonder if you bought two lots, could you then rotate and stay all year?? ;)

You can purchase a double lease on a lot - that's what I did. This gives you full year use of it. Unfortunately, it'll be another few years until the motor home is purchased and we'll be able to use it.

Phil

#20 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

I think I will feel darn lucky if the 6 month occupancy limit becomes a problem :cool:

#21 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

I think I will feel darn lucky if the 6 month occupancy limit becomes a problem :cool:

Right :)

#22 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

When I was out there last month, the only light pollution came from the Zodiacal light which extended almost all the way to the zenith. The sky was truly dark, definitely as good as the Nebraska Star Party I visited some years ago, probably better, but Nebraska was in the summer with the summer Milky Way visible so I can't really compare by memory. But even the winter MW was amazing at GG, can't wait to see it this summer.

I am going back to GG the week of Labor Day to work on observatory designs. If anybody here is also planning to be there, let me know and we'll get together.

#23 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Dust Buster

• -----
  • Loc: Inkom, ID USA

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

I have a 15.5' x 16.5' ROR just built there -- finished this week. Three piers. Our group of four will be using scopes ranging from FSQ to 20" RC on the piers. Next step is getting the roof automation stuff placed and then the internet connection. Hopefully by the end of next month I'll be down there installing mounts and scopes.

Tom

#24 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

Awesome Tom! I have been trying to get them to finish mine for some time now. I am glad you have had better luck than I. It sounds like you are going to have a great setup. It will be fun when a critical mass gets going in GG.

#25 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Granite Gap Yahoo group now operational. At this time, the group is meant to foster communication between those that are already bought in. Look forward to seeing you there!

Granite Gap Yahoo Group

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics