CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS FOR EQ5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

Can my celestron cn16 gps unit be used to HEQ5?

#2 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Is there any one know?

#3 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

The CN-16 is only compatible with Celestron mounts, different programming than the Skywatcher mount.

#4 hongxu chen

hongxu chen

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

They are both made by same manufacturer. Have you test that before?

#5 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

The programming that Skywatcher uses is not compatible with the Celestron programming even though they are made by the same manufacturer now, until Synta bought Celestron a few years ago the programs were developed independently.

#6 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Check out EQMOD...may work with ur gps,,

#7 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

If your GPS outputs a standard NMEA (I think that's the correct acronym) data stream; then you can use it with EQMOD.

I have an old DeLorme GPS that uses a serial port and was, after making a little hardware box to initialize the unit, able to use it with EQMOD. The initialization box has a pushbutton that jumpers the unit's output into its input. Once initialized; the data stream is used by EQMOD to set your location and a "time offset" to correct the PC's clock.

I used the USB to serial adapter I use for my Canon camera's shutter control. Once EQMOD has set things up; I disconnect the GPS so the serial adapter is available for the camera. I rarely need the time correction because my PC's clock is set using NTP (Network Time Protocol) or my GPS corrected clock and is normally within a couple of seconds of the correct time.

Phil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics