• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Not sure which forum to post this in, but saw some related discussion from a while back ...

I usually observe with contacts. But now I can't read my star charts any more with my contacts.

So I'm faced essentially with 2 options -- reading glasses, or monovision contacts (one eye for distance, one for reading). Anyone here try that for observing? It seems that neither distance nor reading would be excellent that way.

#2 Greatshot

Greatshot

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Norton, MA

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:10 AM

I don't know if it would be viable, but could you wear a contact in your observing eye and use your other eye for reading?

#3 andnowthis

andnowthis

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

For observing I would pick glasses. I normally wear contacts during the day also, but recently switched to glasses for the telescope. Get an eyeglass retainer strap and you can just hang the glasses around your neck while you are looking in the eyepiece, and slip them back on for reading charts. It's really nice.

I can't imagine having a correction in only one eye would be comfortable with both eyes open!

#4 rkayakr

rkayakr

Messenger

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

I tried monovision contacts and could not adjust. I think that you need to be part amphibian to use them (Chameleons can point their eyes in different directions!). It is unfortunate since I find that my glasses are always in the way and constantly fogging.

#5 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

I got a pair of distance vision contacts and wear readers over them when needed. But, most of the time, I just go out with my bi-focals and take them off when using the scope. If someone else were observing with me, I'd be more apt to use the contacts. I DO find it easier to find things with the contacts in.

David

#6 ADBjester

ADBjester

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Reading, PA

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

They make bi-focal contacts. I use them, and they're OK. Not great for REALLY closeup work. My focal point for close vision with them is currently about 16 inches, and I'm -4.50 diopters nearsighted with astigmatism.... which can also be corrected. My contacts are B&L Ultravue 2000T lenses that are multi-focal, and also correct for much (but not all) of my astigmatism. Still, beats the daylights out of glasses, that kill eye relief and can fog up.

Jester

#7 WAVT

WAVT

Viking 1

• Loc: Bellingham, WA

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:27 AM

I tried a single contact in my right (viewing) for telescope on the advice of my optomitrist. I like it so much I wear it all the time. The adjustment was not hard at all. I see up close and read with my left eye (no correction) and distance with my right. The correction is mostly for astigmatism.

My eye doctor told me that this is very common. There are a few people who don't adjust well but the majority of folks do just fine with it. It is all in the brain. Your mind sorts it out without thought.

It's not great for binoculars, but doable.

Having been strapped to glasses for over 45 years this is a welcome relief. I drive, watch TV, read and sleep with one contact in. I throw it away every Saturday night, and put in a new one the next day or so. They cost less than $25 for a six pack.

I tried contacts before, but with both eyes, and couldn't read without cheaters. Well I figured if I had to tote glasses around anyway why bother with contacts. With one contact I get the best of both and now I just tote around non prescripton sunglasses :cool:

#8 DavidD

DavidD

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Mike -

I hadn't heard of going without in one eye, but that makes sense if you can read without glasses (that might be a stretch for me). Which eye do you wear the contact in? I assume the dominant one, but wanted to make sure.

The current single vision correction contacts I have are the same correction for both eyes, so that would double the usage I could get with my current stash.

David

#9 WAVT

WAVT

Viking 1

• Loc: Bellingham, WA

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

I wear the contact in my right eye. This is my dominant and viewing eye. I am near sighted and astigmatic in both eyes. I can read without correction. I experimented quite a bit with sample contacts to come up with the best correction in my one eye. My eye Doctor was very patient, and she had a flat rate for contact fitting so it didn't cost extra. I tried a contact that only corrected for astigmatism and that was great for looking in an eyepiece but not good enough to naked eye view constellations and such. We zeroed in on a couple different corrections for the myopea and bingo, Not only does it help finding stars and fuzzies, I can drive without glasses, read maps, and star charts.

It's not like you have to have to mentally choose which eye to look with in daily life. The brain is hugely adaptable in this regard. I have a full stereo, binocular view.

#10 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

I discovered, when I switched to contacts some years ago, how poorly my glasses were able to correct my astigmatism. My (hard) contacts give me full correction of my distance vision and my trifocal glasses give me the intermediate and reading vision. The trifocals have no Rx in the distance portion of the lens, so I normally wear them all day long.

I use an eyeglass retainer strap for observing and have only run into one problem with it - it interfered with the flashlight hanging from my neck. I solved that one by switching to a head mounted light.

Phil

#11 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I hadn't heard of bifocal contacts, or bi/tri-focal glasses with no correction in the distance part. I can see up really close without anything, but it's getting worse, and my distance vision is really bad. So I think I need something for my other eye. Perhaps a monocle? :) I think I will try both reading glasses and different contacts for each eye. My current glasses are pretty wimpy and I didn't have a strap, but sturdy reading glasses on a strap should be much better. But I'll have to see how different correction in each eye works as well.

One thing I learned is that I have a little bit of astigmatism in my right eye; not much, but it might be worth learning to use my left eye for the telescope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics