3 replies to this topic

#1 Termo

Termo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Donegal, Ireland

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

Help!!

I am currently out setting up my CG5-GT mount and whenever I turn the mount on it says “No Response 17” or “No Response 16” and the mount does not respond to the hand controller. If I turn the mount off and on again sometimes it allows me to input all the info (time, date.. ect) and begins to slew to my first alignment star.. then it says “No Response 17” or “No Response 16” and continues slewing on till I just have to switch the mount off to stop it crashing in to itself.

The mount has done this before when I connected it the mains power supply. Since December I have been using the mount with a power pack (on numerous occasions) and ever had this problem again on till tonight.

I permanently store the mount outside on a pier and cover it with a upside-down trash can that clips into place to create a water proof environment.
Has anyone experienced this before or know what’s causing it?

Thanks for your time,

Brendan

#2 garyc11

garyc11

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Niagara Falls,NY

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

This can be a power problem (low voltage) or a loose connection also try cleaning the pins on the hand controller and where it plugs into the mount make sure the pins are making good contact. Check the nextstar resource site for more info. www.nexstarsite.com

#3 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

As Gary said, it could be power. You might want to try gently spreading the center pin in the power socket on the mount. Cleaning the pins on the HC's RJ style connector is also a good idea.
Yes I have had this issue. It turned out to be a bad crimp in the RJ style connector on the HC. Mine was under warranty and Celestron replaced it (3 week wait). If you have no warrantly, you could try recrimping the cable. Those two error codes (16 and 17) indicate communication loss between the HC and the motor controller chips for the DEC and RA axis. See here.

#4 Termo

Termo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Donegal, Ireland

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for all the help guys,

Good to know that this is a fairly common problem and others have overcome it. Last night was very humid here, as usual, so I went back out again after I posted this message and give everything a blast of the hairdryer. The mount worked seamlessly after this so maybe it was moisture in the connection sockets that was causing the problem?

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Brendan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics