"What do you hear Starbuck"?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

For most of you it probably is, "Nothing But The Rain"...So, whats the good word on the new Losmandy G8/G11 Gemini II's? Enough of them out there yet to form a consensus? :question:

#2 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

Well I have been frustrated with mine but only recently learned through the Yahoo group that the software supplied is extremely limited in functionality. Basically only an initial rough alignment is possible with the software until the "final" version becomes available with its full retinue of features. So . . . patience!

#3 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Marion, Ohio

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

i miss battlestar!! that is all

#4 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

Well I have been frustrated with mine but only recently learned through the Yahoo group that the software supplied is extremely limited in functionality. Basically only an initial rough alignment is possible with the software until the "final" version becomes available with its full retinue of features. So . . . patience!

Paying to be a beta tester....Sounds like Windows.

#5 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:41 AM

Is that final version being forwarded/downloadable at no cost to those that have bought the first run?

#6 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

Yes, the Gemini II system allows for online updates via direct ethernet connection, or the user can remove the SD card and put it in a reader connected to a PC to upgrade the firmware. There is no charge for this. It is unfortunate that the final version is taking so long, but from my understanding there are only a handful of folks working on it, so that is the reason for slow going. There also seems to be a lack of communication of issues unless you join the Gemini II Yahoo group. If you are interested in one of these mounts, I suggest you join that group to get the latest info. Incidentally, I have heard of no ETA for the "final release" of Gemini II code yet. I suppose "final" is subjective, as the Gemini I code was worked on and improved over its 10 year lifespan. I have full confidence that the product will be excellent when it is final.

#7 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:01 AM

So there it is: Someday it will be a good product...

I had hoped to hear better. Gemini has been around so long, I had imagined Gemini II must be a mature product from the start.

Back to wondering if CGEM DX is just a stupid exercise in blinging an existing product, or if it is an actual improvement on the CGEM.

-Rich

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics