CGEM - No Response "17"

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

• Loc: Zanesville, Ohio

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Starting up the CGEM results in a "no response-17" error. I Am I looking at a RMA here or is there any tricks? Really sucks! This was the first night I was going to be able to image in months! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Sorry to hear that. I had the same issue myself. In my case it turned out to be a bad crimp of the RJ style connector on the hand controller cable. I RMA'ed just the hand controller and it took 3 weeks for Celestron to replace it. I was able to diagnose this, as I had a hand controller from a CG-5 that I owned which worked flawlwessly with the CGEM mount. I say this because it may not be the HC, it could be the RJ socket on the mount or a loose cable on the inside of the mount. Normally the error 17 means the HC cannot talk to the motor controller board inside the mount. Error 16 is for one axis, and error 17 is for the other...I forget which is DEC and which is RA. You can check out this link on the NexStar site for more info. I really hope you have a friend with another Celestron GEM HC or have one yourself for testing, as shipping the whole mount back is a bit of a hassle. Good luck!

#3 Robert Fink

Robert Fink

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

I had a similar problems with a CG-5. I took it back and got a CGEM. Later, I asked the dealer and he said the problem had been traced to a bad power connection. I've heard Celestron cables are notorious.

#4 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

Robert you bring up a good point about going to a dealer. Unfortunately for me (and a lot of areas) local astro dealers are only a memory. But if the OP has a local Celestron dealer nearby that might be a way to test his current HC. It's easier to ship a 1 lb. item than a 50 lb. item!

#5 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I tried hitting the connector with my crimping tool, but no luck. I have to hit UNDO about 30 times to get past the no response 16/17 error codes. Closest dealer is 100 miles away from me. Guess I am a sitting duck until I can contact Celestron support on Monday. I hope it doesn't take forever to get this resolved!

Edit, I have tried both my car adapter and ac adapter, same results.

#6 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Last image I got before the Mounts death earlier today.
Posted Image
Sun 3-19-2011 by elimisel, on Flickr

#7 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Eli,
Very nice. :waytogo: What kind of solar filter did you use?

IMHO, I would not mention trying to recrimp the cable to Celestron while on the phone. They get kind of funny about that and the last thing you want is them saying you voided the warranty. :crazy:

#8 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Ha! I am not telling them anything nor am I going to do any troubleshooting for them over the phone. I am actually going to try and get a new mount. This was purchased 3 months ago and I have only used it 3 times! Kinda have a bad taste in my mouth right now. Hoping maybe they will ship me a new one so I don't have to wait a long time.

Filter was a Seymore Solar on the SV80ED. I enjoyed it quite a bit, so I think I will be getting one for my 8". :D

#9 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Can't say I blame you. Actually they will probably pay to ship the entire mount back. I am not sure you will get a new one though. You will have to hash that out with tech support. Any chance your original reseller would help you out? You might not be down as long that way as Celestron can take a while to do their thing.

Thanks for the info on the solar filter. I have been toying with the idea of getting one for my AT80LE so I can use some of this expensive gear during the day as well!

#10 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

Can't say I blame you. Actually they will probably pay to ship the entire mount back. I am not sure you will get a new one though. You will have to hash that out with tech support. Any chance your original reseller would help you out? You might not be down as long that way as Celestron can take a while to do their thing.

Thanks for the info on the solar filter. I have been toying with the idea of getting one for my AT80LE so I can use some of this expensive gear during the day as well!

I am gonna give telescopes.com a call in the morning to see what they can do. I doubt I will be able to get a new mount, but it's worth a try. Sure is gonna suck not having a scope now that the weather is starting to look better. Guess it will be nocs only for awhile. :( Hopefully it has a quick turn around.

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

Starting up the CGEM results in a "no response-17" error. I Am I looking at a RMA here or is there any tricks? Really sucks! This was the first night I was going to be able to image in months! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Check all cables and, especially, connections and especially all elements of the power connection...cable, connector and mount side connector. This is usually very easy to fix, and doesn't usually require a return to Celestron who are not likely to send you a new mount. You will have to wait for yours to be repaired. If not sure how to fix/troubleshoot this, take a look at http://nexstarsite.com and enlist the aid of the amateurs at your local club. Some likely have experience with things like this.

#12 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

Check all cables and, especially, connections and especially all elements of the power connection...cable, connector and mount side connector. This is usually very easy to fix, and doesn't usually require a return to Celestron who are not likely to send you a new mount. You will have to wait for yours to be repaired. If not sure how to fix/troubleshoot this, take a look at http://nexstarsite.com and enlist the aid of the amateurs at your local club. Some likely have experience with things like this.

Thanks for the tips Rod. I have tried both my AC power adapter and car adapter as a power source and gotten the same result. I have double checked all my connections as well. The only thing I haven't tried, is opening up the side and checking the internal connections. I am in fear of voiding warranty and plan to call Celestron tomorrow and play the waiting game.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the tips Rod. I have tried both my AC power adapter and car adapter as a power source and gotten the same result. I have double checked all my connections as well. The only thing I haven't tried, is opening up the side and checking the internal connections. I am in fear of voiding warranty and plan to call Celestron tomorrow and play the waiting game.

Did you spread the power pin halves on the mount side connector? Did you clean all the RJ plugs and receptacles?

Do those things before you even _think_ about opening it up, as that is where the problem likely lies.

#14 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hmm, not sure what you mean by pin halves on the power connector.

I looked at all the RJ plugs and receptacles through a magnifying glass, they are spotless. I considered hitting them with emery board, but the mount is only three months old and Saturday was literally the 4th time I have used it.

#15 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hmm, not sure what you mean by pin halves on the power connector.

I looked at all the RJ plugs and receptacles through a magnifying glass, they are spotless. I considered hitting them with emery board, but the mount is only three months old and Saturday was literally the 4th time I have used it.

You can't tell by looking. Clean with 90% isopropyl alcohol or zero residue (electronics) cleaner. Most Celestron pins on the mount side power connector are actually in two halves. Use a jeweler's screwdriver or knife to spread them apart slightly.

#16 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hey Rod,

I used some vcr head cleaner and cleaned the connectors with a q-tip. Took a very small flat head screwdriver I had and nudged the mount connection pins a little to try and get a more secure connection and also pushed the power connection pin over slightly to try and get a better connection on that. Still no dice, get NR17 on startup, hit undo a few times, try to go through alighnment and get NR16 or NR17 errors.

After all that I tried flashing the MC firmware to see what that might do. Connected up fine, grabbed version 6.12 from the net and started programming, it popped a window that said "ERROR programming data at block 72", tried it again and it was block 136, tried it again and it was block 0. This was at the 3% mark of the flash every time.

#17 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hey Rod,

it popped a window that said "ERROR programming data at block 72", tried it again and it was block 136, tried it again and it was block 0. This was at the 3% mark of the flash every time.

Do you have a PC with a hardware serial port available? If so, I'd try that...or try a different usb - serial converter.

#18 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

I was using serial, no usb converter. Tried it on both my laptop and desktop. Same result, but the data block number it would throw would be different every time. I also decided to try updating the HC firmware, it did the same thing. Threw programming errors at different blocks, although if I kept hitting retry I was able to get it to 100%. Verifying would result in a bunch of errors about differences in code blocks. I am wondering if the hand controller is bad.

#19 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

This is off-topic a bit, but Rod, I really enjoyed your article in the April issue of Sky and Telescope. I found a few of the targets you were writing about in my C11 early one morning last week. Hope that S+T will want a few more observing articles from you down the road.

Bill

#20 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Could be tossing errors - maybe a bad cable?

#21 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

This is off-topic a bit, but Rod, I really enjoyed your article in the April issue of Sky and Telescope. I found a few of the targets you were writing about in my C11 early one morning last week. Hope that S+T will want a few more observing articles from you down the road.

Bill

Super...glad you liked it...and it's great to hear somebody has some clear skies! :crazy:

#22 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

I was using serial, no usb converter. Tried it on both my laptop and desktop. Same result, but the data block number it would throw would be different every time. I also decided to try updating the HC firmware, it did the same thing. Threw programming errors at different blocks, although if I kept hitting retry I was able to get it to 100%. Verifying would result in a bunch of errors about differences in code blocks. I am wondering if the hand controller is bad.

Might try re-downloading the updater. What's your o/s? Failing that, yes, it might be time to check the internal connections.

#23 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Freaking awesome you got articles published in S+T man! Here I am talking with a star and didn't even know it! :grin:

Anyway, it could be a bad cable, but I only have the one supplied with the CGEM, so no way of testing that.

Just re-downloaded MCupdate and HCupdate with the same results. Laptop is running XP and desktop is running Win7. I think I am going to hold off looking at the internals until I talk with Celestron tomorrow. Sure would suck to void warranty or something.

Really appreciate everyones help.

#24 EliMisel

EliMisel

Explorer 1

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Just got of the horn with Celestron. CGEM is going in for warranty repair, could be more than 30 days before I get it back. Really bums me out.

#25 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

I guess that's good news, bad news. You will get back a working mount, but as always you are in a queue to get your work done and be without until then. I hope it is just the HC and they find out soon, so the wait will not be so long.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics