• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: tucson, arizona

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

My father-in-law gave me his old (1983) Meade LX 10-inch telescope. No manuals could be found for it and he has not used it in 20+ years so he can't remember anything about it. I want to adjust the wedge for my latitude but don't know how to "read" what latitude it is set for. There are two bolts on either side of the wedge with an adjusting screw for fine adjustments. My question is what indicates the latitude? One of the bolt heads, or ????

I have been out of astronomy for a long time, but this old scope is what got me interested in it at first and I would like to put it back into good use for old time's sake.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

If I remember correctly the lat was not indicated on the sides on the wedge. I would start by aligning the finder to the scope then sighting up polaris in the finder adjusting the wedge to do so. There should be a compass in the knob that tightens down the center of the wedge to the tripod and a bubble level in the wedge. Make sure that it's level before starting and use the compass adjusting for you areas declination for true north. Hope this helps... Good Luck .. Joe

#3 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort McMurray, AB

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

I've got 4 different manuals for the Meade wedges, PM me and we can figure out which is the right one.

#4 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

http://www.nationala.../a_latlong.html

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics