• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hani123

hani123

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hey Guys,
I just bought a vintage Meade Quartz 8" (I think it's a LX3 or LX5) and the mount is not functioning.

The tripod is fine, it's just the motor doesn't move anything, I can hear it working, but no movement.

It's a nice scope and I just need a working mount, as it's too big and heavy to move manually and track objects, it doesn't need to be a goto.

Do I need to to look for the same old system, or is there any other compatible alternative? I don't want to buy a $1000 mount when I bought the whole thing for $700, I'm looking at anything up to $100-200.

Thanks in advance :help:

#2 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

It might be hard to find a driven mount inside $200, but I think you can find out not far outside your expected price. :)

You should check out the classifieds section here at Cloudy Nights, sometimes people do sell fork-mounts without the OTA and that might be a direct solution for you. You can also put a Wanted add in for a 8" fork. Astromart is another good location to look for used astro equipment. Even check your local craigslist... sometimes you can get lucky there for astro gear too!

As an alternative you might consider moving to an Equatorial mount such as the Celestron CG-5, Skywatcher EQ5, Meade LXD-75, Orion Skyview Pro, or Vixen Polaris series mount (all these mounts are very similar to each other). Those mounts show up often on the used market, and especially the older non-goto models can be quite a good price. To use such a mount you will need to add a dovetail bar to your scope, but that is easy enough as ADM has a dovetail for the 8" meade SCT. :)

For new mounts the Celestron Omni CG-4 is available on sale right now. That is without a drive though so if you want the mount to be driven you would have to add the drive into your cost considerations.

Hope that helps.

#3 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:51 AM

oh - BTW - If I was you, considering the mount does not work anyway, I would probably take the mount apart to see if I can figure out WHY it does not work. From your description it sounds like the electronics/motors work, perhaps it is as simple as replacing a small gear or some such.

But before taking it apart... is there a clutch or some sort that is not engaged? I do not know those LX3/LX5 mounts (or any LX mount!) so I do not know such a thing exists, I am just guessing there may be.

#4 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:58 AM

Does it have that cool CAT locator system? With all the red lights pointing you to the center Meade symbol when you're locked in. :) I had an 10" LX3 with the CAT DSC back in the day. It was the f6.3 version as well. Awesome.

The only thing the motor drive on that will do is track in RA. I never had motors for goto. You moved it manually (even the CAT drive one ) and it tracked in RA via the quartz drive. It may be working. Just had the clutches and manual knobs for dec and ra movement. LX200 was their first actual goto scope I think. It did have a hand control that slowed and advanced the RA drive for assisted guiding sorta. And there may have been a DEC motor for the same. I can't remember. I know my original C8 had the dec motor.

It's all too long ago.

Joe

#5 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

My suggestion is go to pertinent yahoo groups related to your mount and try to troubleshoot. May be the possible solution is there.

Also, post a picture of the telescope board in order to be proper identified.

Your second option is to buy a fork LX-50 I saw it couples days ago for $225 on astromart. Classified #716440

#6 hani123

hani123

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

Thanks everyone, I figured it out and it's working fine, I had to engage the locks (no manual came with it so I'm learning as I go).

I believe it's a LX3 (based on a label on the AC Adapter box) but I'll post some pictures so you guys can tell me for sure.

#7 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Awesome! Post em up. I'm sure the sidereal tracking will still be on the money. Joe

#8 hani123

hani123

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

Awesome! Post em up. I'm sure the sidereal tracking will still be on the money. Joe

Here is the link of my other thread with the pix. :D
http://www.cloudynig...cb5046336bf464c

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics