Photo

Atlas vs. Sirius - Height dimensions w/o tripod?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mcbbcn

mcbbcn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the height dimensions difference between the Atlas (EQ6 Pro) and Sirius (EQ5 Pro) mounts. I thinking about replacing my Sirius mount with an Atlas mount in my observatory. My Sirus mount is currently mounted on a pier and there is little tolerance between the rolling roof and the telescopes. I believe the Atlas is bigger (and taller) but I don't know by how much. Does anybody know? I've tried to look in the web but there is very little informationa about it.

Thanks for your help,

Miquel Casas
Portland, OR

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

I can tell you that the Atlas set at 38 degrees is about 20 inches tall. I don't know the size of the Sirius.

Warren

#3 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I can't give you an exact measurement because I no longer have my Sirius mount. The Atlas should be 3-4" taller than the Sirius. This is based on the increase in the height of the boxes I built that they fit into.

Could you change the park position of your scope when you close up the observatory? You might get some extra headroom that way.

Phil

#4 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

I have both, but the Sirius is easier to get to (basement)--it measures just under 16 inches from base to the top of the saddle, set for 46 degrees dec.

Hope this helps...

#5 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

• Loc: Riverside Co., California

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Don't know what your budget is, but you might consider an adjustable pier from Pier Tech - they allow you to raise or lower your entire scope about 2 feet - plenty to help you clear the enclosure and raise back up to ideal height.

Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics