• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

• Loc: Riverside Co., California

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hi Folks!

Well Saturday was indeed the big day! Journeyed down to Oceanside Photo & Telescope (2 hour drive in the rain!) and walked away with a new mount, and a mount dolly from JMI. Total cost out the door, about $5100 including tax.

I was good and took several unboxing and assembly photos - but I have to process them yet. I'll probably post pictures later today or early tomorrow. The Apomax looks really good on the new mount and it seems rock solid... and it should be! The mount itself is about 40 kg, the tripod is 25 kg, and there are 20 kg of counterweights on it. With the dolly and tube rings - the entire thing pushes 90 kg before the scope is even on it! The mount splits into an equatorial saddle and the combined RA/Dec axis parts - this helps a little, but I got quite a surprise assembling it - doing the 'clean & jerk' with 25 kg from floor to 7 ft high was much more effort than I thought it would be. (I need to work out more!!!)

Of course, rain and clouds for the 'super moon' on Saturday, and we really got pounded with wind and rain Sunday and again today (lots of flooding out by us! )

I'll give you all a first light report as soon as I get some good weather to test it out. (very depressed about the bad weather last few weeks!)

Thanks so much to everyone who helped out and answered seemingly endless 'what if?' questions over the last several months. I decided on the CGE because with the economy in the dumper, prices rising, and me unable to save any more on a reduced salary (I'm a teacher, we all got salary cuts this year and last year...) - I decided that a CGE would be FAR better than no mount at all. The Apomax seems very stable on the mount, but only a real test in the dark and maybe a few photos will tell about that.

Photos on the way!!!

Dan

#2 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Looking forward to the Pics..... :yay:

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

Hi Dan,
Congrats on the new mount - so glad that you were able to resolve your questions in order to decide.

Best wishes going forward and let's hope you get can the chance to get it out under some great skies soon :waytogo:

Regards,

skybsd

#4 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Dan:

Posted Image

:grin:

#5 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hello friends,
Mrs. Astra and I have something worse than the usual 'clouds after purchase' - we both got the flu. :bawling:

I'll try to get some pics up this afternoon - I was really good and took photos of the unboxing, assembly and everything - so all your photo wishes (astro-mount photo wishes, anyway!) will be gratified.

I'll try to put some up this afternoon. :p

Dan

#6 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Don't worry about the pics, Dan - take care of you and Mrs. Astra, and post them when you're feeling up to it.
Get well soon, man.

#7 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

Here we go - a few unboxing photos for you all to ogle at!
first photo is the unopened boxes in the living room. Tripod and mount box dwarf my coffee table - the little box is the JMI scope dolly, the long blue box is my refractor OTA (minus the dew shield!)
[image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/9319342@N07/5551127829/sizes/l/in/photostream/[/image]

#8 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

The flu?! Now there's a real twist on the curse. Get better soon!!

David

#9 darkman

darkman

Man In Black

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

You know, the only reason I even got out of bed today was to see the pics. And all we get a broken linky? :grin:

Posted Image

#10 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

Dan, one pic isn't going to do it. We need many more..... :4

#11 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:32 AM

Here we go - a few unboxing photos for you all to ogle at!
first photo is the unopened boxes in the living room. Tripod and mount box dwarf my coffee table - the little box is the JMI scope dolly, the long blue box is my refractor OTA (minus the dew shield!)
[image]http://www.flickr.com/photos/9319342@N07/5551127829/sizes/l/in/photostream/[/image]

Wow! Even catering for padding, your scope must be massive :)

Regards,

skybsd

#12 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

I'll give him a hand. Here is the link to the CGE-Pro unboxing photo stream.

I'm actually more interested in that giant pair of binoculars.

#13 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Hi Guys!

Sorry about the delay - I tried to post photos the other day, but my typical troubles getting photos to upload here - and a 2nd wave of flu symptoms - torpedoes THAT! Yuck!

I have a nice photo link to my flickr page where you can see 10 nice photos of my mount being unboxed and assembled! :jump:

I've also solved the tripod assembly problem I was having. Yeesh! I found that the electronics pier (which sits on top of the tripod) can bolt onto the tripod in only one configuration (three holes in the pier, three tapped holes to bolt into on the cast tripod head - easy, right!

Ah! But the EQ head which then fits atop the pier has SIX tapped holes, so you can turn the head either so that the CW shaft lines up between the tripod legs (unstable and hella dangerous!), or you can turn it 60 deg and have the CW shaft properly over the tripod legs where the mass can be properly distributed.

The nice folks over at the Yahoo CGE forum turned me on to that little trick (thanks, guys!!!) - silly of me not to spot it myself, though! I think I'll blame the flu - not my lack of clear thinking! :o

Anyway - it's fixed now, and you all have some photos to look at of the mount.

The real "astronomical wonder" occurs in the first photo. Notice Mrs. Astra posing (with a BIG smile!!) with the new boxes filling up the living room?

What a woman! I go out and spend 5K, then fill her living room with giant boxes and hundred pounds of equipment the night she has a dinner party scheduled - and she still poses for a nice photo with my new toy. I'm sure I don't deserve her - but I sure ain't letting her go, either!!! :grin:

Dan

#14 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:29 AM

Hi Dan,
Glad to see you're still up and about - hope you're recovering as we speak.

Thanks for the photos - sounds like you're finding your way around the mount - hopefully you'll soon be able to head out :jump:

Regards,

skybsd

#15 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Viking 1

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hi Dan,
Glad to see you're still up and about - hope you're recovering as we speak.

Thanks for the photos - sounds like you're finding your way around the mount - hopefully you'll soon be able to head out :jump:

Regards,

skybsd

thanks, Pal!

Yeah - I'm pretty much over the crud - now all I need is some clear skies. None this weekend, I think - more rain expected today and Saturday, too.

The good news is that I have spring break coming up the first week of April - hopefully the skies will clear enough by then - should be very little moon that week, too!

Dan

#16 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• Loc: Georgia USA 34 31'57.18N 83 53'26.30W

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:07 AM

That is some very nice stuff Dan! Can't wait to see the entire set up.

#17 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Dan.

Which scope you will put on it ? Did you make a special order for these wheels ? Its not from Celestron ? Its the second time I see a mount with wheels, I wouldn't put a C14 on this mount with wheels, oh no. Its stable and safe ?

Andre.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics