2 replies to this topic

#1 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Hi.

I've been learning AP and I'm planning to purchase a mount for imaging.

I've been thinking an Atlas/EQ6 mount and get a tuning service (I don't have skills to do by myself) or buying a G11 without GOTO. It can get pretty close price wise if you consider all the shipping costs.

Which one do you think is a better option?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hi.

I've been learning AP and I'm planning to purchase a mount for imaging.

I've been thinking an Atlas/EQ6 mount and get a tuning service (I don't have skills to do by myself) or buying a G11 without GOTO. It can get pretty close price wise if you consider all the shipping costs.

Which one do you think is a better option?

If you can't get a go-to G11 get the Atlas. Go-to is a god-send for astrophotography. And it is unlikely it will need any kind of "tuning" before you can use if for successful imaging. Quite the opposite, as a matter of fact.

#3 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

What Rod said. I will add the following...

The Atlas is easier on the wallet. EQMOD (for pc control especially for AP related functions like autoguiding and PE correction) makes it an even better value. Try it out. Wait on the tuning. Here are some reasons you might do a tune up.

- Difficulty balancing due to stiction in one or more axes.

- Difficulty autoguiding.

- PE values you can't live with. As you get comfortable with the mount, measure its PE with PECPrep - part of the EQMOD/EQASCOM suite of tools.

If you have none of these problems leave it alone for a while. More than anything else look at your images. If the stars look satisfactorily round and there's no trailing then you have a good mount.

Ajay

link to EQMOD/EQASCPM: http://eq-mod.source...et/eqascom.html

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics