9 replies to this topic

#1 Mentor

Mentor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi All,

I'm looking for a driven mount for my Televue 102. I currently have it on an alt-az mount, but would like a GEM with a motor drive for sketching and high-power observing sessions. I would keep the Gibraltar for quick looks.

I want something cheap (<$200), with a one-axis motor drive. No GOTO required, just a good solid old-fashioned GEM. This would be for visual use only, I have no intention of AP, ever. I do not have anything special mounted on my scope, I assume that it is ~12-14 lbs. Used is OK. A polar alignment scope would be nice, but is not critical. I don't need a precise alignment for my application.

I am eyeing this one . Not sure what it is, but the price is right. The seller says it is somewhere between an EQ-2 and EQ-3 in capacity. Will I be under-mounted with this? If I had my druthers I think I would lean towards something more like an EQ-4 in capacity.

What does the Forum say?

Thanks!

#2 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

Here's an option for a new mount. A CG4 but without any drives.

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

Hard to tell what that mount in the ad you linked to is. I did purchase a similar cheap mount and it is the one purchase I regretted the most. I was able to send it back to the seller for a refund. If it does not have name that speaks for at least some quality control, keep away. It is not worthy of your nice refractor. Look for a used Vixen Polaris or Super Polaris or some other well known mount. I settled for a Vixen SP in the end.

Ajay

#3 Mentor

Mentor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

Ajay,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am aware of the CG-4 sale on at Astronomics. It sure is tempting, but once I include the motor drive we are pushing $400 with shipping, and this does not include customs brokerage fees. These could easily add another $100-200 to the total, so I am certainly over $500 all-in with the CG-4. I would never get CFO approval for that unless I pick up a second job. ;)

Still, it's tempting...

#4 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Does anyone make an inexpensive equatorial fork mount? That would seem idea for visual only use.

#5 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort McMurray, AB

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Mentor, there are many scope shops in Canada so you don't have to worry about brokerage fees.

#6 stevenf

stevenf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

Ha, Ian I am looking at the same mount! I would get it. It might be undermounting your scope a bit but once you dial in the focus and set the drive, and let the jitters die down, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

#7 ADBjester

ADBjester

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Reading, PA

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Mentor, there are many scope shops in Canada so you don't have to worry about brokerage fees.

Agreed. I've had good experiences ordering from KW Telescopes in Ottawa. Brian there is very willing to help you with your choices, and is very knowledgeable.... even for Yanks like myself (I ordered my QHY from him because I liked the fact that they had a storefront, while the exclusive US distributor did not, and didn't have a great web page, either).

Jester

#8 neotesla

neotesla

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

Ajay,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am aware of the CG-4 sale on at Astronomics. It sure is tempting, but once I include the motor drive we are pushing $400 with shipping, and this does not include customs brokerage fees. These could easily add another $100-200 to the total, so I am certainly over $500 all-in with the CG-4. I would never get CFO approval for that unless I pick up a second job. ;)

Still, it's tempting...

Ever try perceptor.ca? Jerry Wright carries a lot of these and in in you neck of the woods (Ontario) and his prices are decent.

#9 Mentor

Mentor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'll look at some of the Canadian shops. I was in doubt that any would have prices competitive with the Astronomics deal, but it doesn't hurt to do some investigating, does it?

#10 soreneck

soreneck

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'll look at some of the Canadian shops. I was in doubt that any would have prices competitive with the Astronomics deal, but it doesn't hurt to do some investigating, does it?

Hi Ian,

I live in Toronto and have a good sense of the local dealers, their service, and prices. In fact I have a suggestion in mind (I won't post details here in fairness to local dealers). Feel free to drop me an email so we can discuss: adamevans9 at gmail dot com.

Cheers,
Adam

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics