• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ducksoup

ducksoup

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: WASHINGTON

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new imageing mount for my 8" f5.4 newtonian and I'm excited to see the different options now available. My OTA will weigh in at about 33 pounds so any of the above mentioned mounts should work fine. I have spent a lot of time researching the Atlas mount but I don't know that much about either the iOptron IEQ45 or the new Celestron CGEM-DX other than what I've read in the spec sheets for each. Both have greater load capacity than the Atlas but not that much, (45 lbs. for the iOptron and 50 lbs for the Celestron CGEM-DX) Does anyone have any experiance with the iOptron? I'm not sure if the Celestron is even available yet and I'm always concerned about buying the latestandgreatest just because of potential bugs. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? $2000 is my upper max limit for spending at this time so these all will fit in my budget.

#2 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi ducksoup...

one resource you might want to check is the best of mounts thread

There's a really informative long thread on the Ioptron IEQ45, and others that might be of great assistance.

My :penny: :penny: would be that for an 8" f5.4 scope weighing in at over 30#, you are going to find any of that group slightly challenged. Not saying you can't do it or make it work, but that's a pretty LONG OTA you're talking about, with a commensurately long moment arm...

You might also consider getting a USED CGE - which is more capable than those you listed... they are routinely coming up for well under $2000... and, once you do a "Marty's Cables" modification ($6 worth of VPI flexible power motor cables), pretty issue free...

Good luck!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics