Astro-Physics vs. ASA mounts

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 coz

coz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

I'm having trouble on deciding on a mount for my AP 130GT scope. I'm a rookie who wants a premium goto mount which I won't need to upgrade for a long time. I have a dslr and want to get into astro photography slowly maybe get a ccd down the road. Here are the pros and cons as I see them. Please correct me if I'm wrong or pls share opinions. I'm using the mount in the field and will be set up in different locations. I have a mac. Thanks

ASA
new direct drive technology. no gear parts to wear out?
Solid engineering very stable.
will not need to use autoguider up to 20min exposures
building pointing models takes 30 mins
software is windows only? can run in parallels on mac.
Price is 30+% higher than AP.
ASA fairly new company. Will support measure up to AP? Is it bulletproof and would I never need support!

AP Mach 1
proven reliable performance
fantastic support from company and others
price is less than ASA
Much faster set up time
Hand controller can eliminate computer if desired
New APCC software realeased soon will have pointing models if I even need it.

#2 coz

coz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

It really helped me right all of this down. I'm now very much leaning towards the Mach 1. For my style I think setting up pointing models each session will discourage me from using the mount. Perhaps if it was in a permanent location it would be a tougher choice. Add to that the cost difference and I think I have my answer.

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Very pragmatic of you..,

Regards,

skybsd

#4 t.r.

t.r.

Aurora

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

You have answered your own question...correctly I might add!

#5 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

I've passed up several used Tak mounts simply because I think it'd be a royal pain to get it fixed if something ever broke.

If I buy an AP, I could conceivably drive to AP and drop it at Roland's feet. :D

#6 coz

coz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Yes, I've dealt with their customer service a few times in the past and it was a positive & unique experience in this day and age!

#7 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

The Mach1 was designed to image with a 160EDF. The amount of "wear" on the gears would take several life times to be an issue. AP mounts are simple to set up, have a good support group backed up by the owner and the people who built them.
From what I understand, the ASA mounts are a bit of a challenge to get them tuned, but once they are they perform well too. I don't think they are as portable but I could be wrong.

#8 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

For my style I think setting up pointing models each session will discourage me from using the mount.

Well, if that's the only reason then it is the wrong reason. The pointing model can be built using 2 or 3 stars. You need to find another reason :lol:

#9 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

If I buy an AP, I could conceivably drive to AP and drop it at Roland's feet. :D

That's IF it ever broke. :lol: Calling A-P is a pleasant experience. Everyone is familiar with the gear and cares very much about how well it works for you.

OT - You have some nice scopes in your sig; I have a great mount to use them on. Too bad you don't live closer to DC..... :)

Cheers,

Ron

#10 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

OT - You have some nice scopes in your sig; I have a great mount to use them on. Too bad you don't live closer to DC..... :)

Hmmm....I guess I should update that. No longer have the 106LE. Saving up for a TMB or AT130, if I don't buy the Mach-1. If I do, that's my astro budget for the year so I guess I'll have to suffer with using the TMB80 and AT8RC :grin:

#11 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

Permanent setup...ASA. Anything else would be the Mach 1.

David

#12 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

There are a building number of write-ups online which seem to indicate the ASA is a never-ending science project in and of itself. Universally the feedback on the APs has been they work so well, you don't have to think about it.

Not sure when I'll have the cash to support one as Roland has just cleaned me out with an AP130EDFGT.

-Rich

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics