3 replies to this topic

#1 pubquiz

pubquiz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi All

I have an Argo Navis and love it ...there are just a couple of things I am not sure of even after reading the manual

1) Is there a way to add any more stars to the 'mode align star' menu?....There are only 35 in the menu and it would be great to have some more as some bright and popular ones are missing like Alioth and Alkaid...which is a good one to align on when finding M51..

2) In Setup Atlas which is the best one to pick? i.e Millenium Star Atlas, Star Atlas 2000, or Uranometria, herald bobroff etc...no idea what is in which....any popular DSO's missing from any? does it matter which one I choose?

I realise there is an Argo support group and I used it when I first got it....support from Gary at AN was brilliant...but thought I would just ask here 1st.

Tom

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

I don't think you can add them to the list that boots up. However, once you have done a basic align star, you can add other stars to your pointing model. You have to have the pointing model turned on.

1. In Bright Star mode, you can select a bright star, go to it, and do an alignment.

2. In IDENTIFY mode, you can go to a bright star. Generally speaking if it seems "reasonably bright" to you it will be mag 4 or brighter. So you set IDENTIFY to mag 4 cutoff and then center the star (you need to do at least one align star first) you want. Identify will tell you the star and then you can add it to your databse.

There is an Argo Navis user group on Yahoo which goes by the name of Argo_Navis_dtc

Greg N

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

The catalog simply tells you which page number the object appears on in the catalog of your choice. The most common "serious" catalog is Sky Atlas 2000 which you can buy from Sky and Telescope for fifty bucks or so. The Uranometria is "what serious people get when they get more serious". It's 3 vols. The Bobroff has a different design and is pretty good but is really a "variant that's out there" -- not as easy to get. It has its fans.

The computer is not going to "make objects" available to you based on what is in these books. The AN computer has its own independent database. The only issue at stake is what page number you refer to. Some people like to see "the lay of the land (sky)" around the object they're looking at so this keeps you from having to look up the constellation and then the page number up front.

The Luginbuhl/Skiff Deep Sky Observer's Catalog is an excellent resource for descriptions of objects and basically has everything on the Sky Atlas 2000. So a good solid reference combo to take to the field is your Argo Navis, the Sky Atlast 2000, and Luginbuhl and Skiff. Sky & Tel sells its own descriptive book that is not nearly as good as Luginbuhl and Skiff's, because L&S describe objects as they appear from 3 inches to 12 inches of aperture (75 to 30 cm.)

Greg N

#4 pubquiz

pubquiz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for that Greg

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics