Anyone have the CGEM DX??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 broca

broca

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ocala, FL

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

I've been waiting to hear from anyone who may have the CGEM DX. I hope to hear about this mount soon!! (Or should I just get the Atlas ;)).

#2 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

There was a thread over in Cats & Casses started by a CNer who just got one. He has a couple of pictures of it, not many comments on the mount, just the C11 HD OTA...but you could always ask! :grin:

One other note, there is a Yahoo CGEM DX users group that Ed Thomas of Deep Space Products started. You should check that out before deciding between the Atlas and the CGEM DX.

#3 OEbil

OEbil

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Delaware, US & Izmir, Turkey

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

I bought it two weeks ago from Hands on Optics (with 14" OTA). However, did not have time to play with it since I am in the middle of moving overseas :) It looks much sturdier than CGEM (mostly due to new tripod), not sure about the electronics yet but supposed to be better. I was going to buy OTA, but could not pass the deal on DX. Now I have another not so portable mount (in addition to AP1200). Hoping to settle down in a few months and test it....

#4 phalynx

phalynx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Adina, TX

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

There was a thread over in Cats & Casses started by a CNer who just got one. He has a couple of pictures of it, not many comments on the mount, just the C11 HD OTA...but you could always ask! :grin:

One other note, there is a Yahoo CGEM DX users group that Ed Thomas of Deep Space Products started. You should check that out before deciding between the Atlas and the CGEM DX.

Who me? :) It is so far very steady. The tripod is just plain massive. I have a 80mm auto guider, 50mm guide scope and a Losmandy dovetail plate for the LM DT rings. It would not balance with all of that and the dew shield. I just received my 2nd 22lbs weight today and was just balancing it in the living room. Its nicely balanced now. I would feel better with about 5 lbs instead of 22 additional but I haven't found a 5;bs weight yet. The motors seem to be just fine with it. I may not get to put any real seat time in it until Sunday evening though. It has been windy or cloudy almost every night. I feel fairly confident with the mount so far but until my Hyperstar arrives and I get some pics going, I won't know for sure.

#5 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

but I haven't found a 5;bs weight

Thats right! You have the larger diameter counterweight shaft on the DX so getting a used CG-5 weight is not an option anymore as it was with the original CGEM. You could alyways check the diameter of the new shaft and look around at some of the other folks like Robin Casady, Losmandy or whoever sells one to fit in the 5 lb. range. If you can balance with less CW, it would probably be better for the mount overall. I saw your pictures, nice setup. I hope your daughters like astronomy, it's great to involve your kids in this hobby! :) My olderst son is taking an astronomy class in high school next fall and I am going to try to setup a mini-outreach with the teacher and the rest of the class.

#6 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

but I haven't found a 5;bs weight yet.

If I'm not mistaken, the DX has the same diameter CW shaft as the CGE and CGE Pro. If that's the case, Losmandy weights will fit it and they have a 7-pounder.

#7 phalynx

phalynx

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Adina, TX

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

but I haven't found a 5;bs weight yet.

If I'm not mistaken, the DX has the same diameter CW shaft as the CGE and CGE Pro. If that's the case, Losmandy weights will fit it and they have a 7-pounder.

Yeap, I just measured and ordered a 7lbs.

#8 broca

broca

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:41 PM

I'm hoping there will be more reviews/news about this mount once NEAF comes and goes. I'd really like to know if most of the upgrade IS from the tripod or is there is more to the mount than the CGEM.

#9 djnct

djnct

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

I just purchased one today at NEAF. I will try to post some info once I can take some pictures with it.....which might take some time based on the weather forecast- ugh!
Dan

#10 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

Congrats on the new mount! :) Did you get a "sale" price on the DX, or was it the standard price? I remember last year they were doing awesome deals on the CGE Pro at NEAF.

#11 broca

broca

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Congrats on the mount!! I am looking forward to any reviews reports etc. on this mount you may have. I'm hoping this turns out to be a performer.

#12 djnct

djnct

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thanks! I put off buying a mount for a long time, I'm happy I was finally able to pull the trigger. Hopefully the work schedule and the weather will allow me to get it outside now!
Yup, the mount was discounted a fair amount- there are some terrific deals at the show. And if you're there tomorrow afternoon you can get an even bigger discount on the floor models. BTW, a number of the vendors are offering discounts thru the end of the month and not just at the show. I'm a hacker when it comes to reviews, but I will try to post as much info as I can once I get some experience with the mount.
Clear Skies,
Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics