Degrease a stuck mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yoram

yoram

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hi. After years in storage I came back to my Celestron CG4 mount and found it all sticky with grease.
The cylinder of the coarse movement is totally stuck in
place.
Anyone knows how to dissolve this grease. (it's the transparent type)
Thanks, Yoram

#2 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

First of all, welcome to Cloudy Nights. Glad to hear you are taking out the astro gear! :grin:
I have used a Citrus based degreaser for this called ZEP. It has the advantage of being able to dispose of easily since it is water based and it is less dangerous than some of the alternatives.

#3 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Read the label carefully. Some citrus based degreasers can harm rubber gaskets! If there are no rubber gaskets in the areas you are cleaning then ignore this warning.

I used Clean Streak when I regreased my Atlas.
http://www.whiteligh...lean-streak.htm

Ajay

#4 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

I have a TV EQ mount that had the same problem. I sprayed light oil into the mount and worked it back and forth. It took a lot of back and forth but It diluted the grease enough that is works easy and smooth again. Don T.

#5 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Read the label carefully. Some citrus based degreasers can harm rubber gaskets! If there are no rubber gaskets in the areas you are cleaning then ignore this warning.

I used Clean Streak when I regreased my Atlas.
http://www.whiteligh...lean-streak.htm

Hey, that's some neat stuff there. You are correct about being careful with the citrus based degreasers as they will degrade some polymers. I was thinking ZEP if the OP was going to take the mount apart and clean it. For cleaning in place the Clean Streak looks like a much better idea! Thanks for the link. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics