Photo

G-11 Gemini II with Casady Plate and CW . . .

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

I have reconsidered the Casady tilt-in plate. I find it no easier to mount the C-11 using the tilt-in than the stock Losmondy dovetail plate but with this proviso:
You just MUST mount the OTA with the mount in the CWD and aimed toward the NCP position. I find it actually easier and safer that way than with the uber expensive Casady plate.

As for the CW: Judge for yourself. It certainly mounts and adjusts on the shaft very well. Whether it is worth the money is a totally personal decision.

The one piece Casady safety stop ("toe saver")is considerably more convenient than the stock Losmondy bolt with washer and plastic-handled wing nut.

Others of course prefer the Casady. My findings are with a C-11. A C-14 is a whole other matter.

Attached Files

#2 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the feedback on the saddle and toe saver knob. That weight sure is pretty though! :) I believe someone said that this IS jewelry for men! :lol:

#3 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hello Terry,
Interesting..,

Do you mind explaining exactly how you were attempting to mount your OTA with the RC saddle, please?

For what its worth, I myself prefer RC saddles for all my mounts and scopes - including the C14, and certainly did prefer them to the stock Losmandy saddle on my former G11.

Thanks..,

Regards,

skybsd

#4 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hello Terry,
Do you mind explaining exactly how you were attempting to mount your OTA with the RC saddle, please?
skybsd

I detect skepticism. :)

The advantage of the Casady as I see it is the "tilt-in."

I set the dec axis horizontal and tilt the OTA in. Then tighten the two bolts.

I don't like it. I feel the tube is not under control as gravity wants to "un-tilt it" onto the ground while I use one hand to hold it in position and the other to get a bolt secured. Is there a better way?

With the stock Losmondy clamp, sliding the OTA down into the clamp from the CWD position seems quite easy and more controlled as there is both friction between the dovetail bar and the clamp as well as the security of the safety bolt to prevent total OTA-Mount separation should things not go as planned.

Now, I could use the same CWD position with the Casady I suppose. But I don't see doing so offers any substantive advantage over the stock plate. Can't say I have actually tried that yet though.

How do you use your Casady's?

#5 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

I believe someone said that this IS jewelry for men! :lol:

Astro Bling.

#6 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hello Terry,

Hello Terry,
skybsd

I detect skepticism. :)

Not in the slightest ;)

The advantage of the Casady as I see it is the "tilt-in."

I set the dec axis horizontal and tilt the OTA in. Then tighten the two bolts.

I don't like it. I feel the tube is not under control as gravity wants to "un-tilt it" onto the ground while I use one hand to hold it in position and the other to get a bolt secured. Is there a better way?

Yes - Counterweight down. This way, gravity is actually your friend. You place it in on the non-tilting side, and gravity wants to push to dovetail back down flat - towards the tilt-in side - which is what you want anyways :)

Now, I could use the same CWD position with the Casady I suppose. But I don't see doing so offers any substantive advantage over the stock plate. Can't say I have actually tried that yet though.

Suggest you give the CWD method a try and see how your like it.

Thanks for getting back..,

Regards,

skybsd

#7 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

I believe someone said that this IS jewelry for men! :lol:

Astro Bling.

:ubetcha:

#8 Richard McC

Richard McC

Vanguard

• Loc: Australia

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:55 AM

I'm using a refractor with an ADM tilt-in saddle instead of a Casady one but the saddle works the same. Like skybsd, I have the counterweight pointing down and the saddle pointing to the horizon (so the scope is horizontal) with the saddle knobs pointing upwards. I tilt the bottom edge of the dovetail plate into the saddle, lower the rest of the plate into the saddle and then do up the knobs - at all times I have both arms under my OTA, one each side of the saddle. I find this easier than trying to get everything lined up to slide the dovetail plate into the original saddle.

#9 Danno2006

Danno2006

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

It may be the angle, but it looks like you have a gap between the mount and G11 eq. head on the side of the Gemini. Are your 3 bolts rotated correctly in the mount slots to lock your head on the mount correctly? It looks like I can see the thread on the bolt closest to the Gemini unit.

#10 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

It may be the angle, but it looks like you have a gap between the mount and G11 eq. head on the side of the Gemini. Are your 3 bolts rotated correctly in the mount slots to lock your head on the mount correctly? It looks like I can see the thread on the bolt closest to the Gemini unit.

Hey! You don't miss a trick. I was horrified when I saw that! Actually I wondered why my alignment seemed off two nights ago. I realigned but yesterday afternoon I too noticed that gap. I will be more attentive to those bolts from now on. I was close to disaster. :scared:

This likely happened when I removed the stock Losmondy saddle. The Allen bolts were so torqued I was afraid I was not going to be able to get them loose. There was much twisting and grabbing . . . even some pounding with a rubber mallet on the Allen key.

#11 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

Heeheehee!!!! :grin:

Regards,

skybsd

#12 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Regards,

skybsd

Can you just imagine? A C-11 and 23 lb CW pitching over and slamming into the turf corrector plate first?!!!

Oh, man!!! :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks: :bawling: :bawling:

I'd be famous! Likely make America's Funniest Home Videos!

#13 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

Regards,

skybsd

Can you just imagine? A C-11 and 23 lb CW pitching over and slamming into the turf corrector plate first?!!!

Oh, man!!! :tonofbricks: :tonofbricks: :bawling: :bawling:

I'd be famous! Likely make America's Funniest Home Videos!

Don't beat yourself up over this, Terry..,

A diligent search here on CN as well as elsewhere will reveal that you wouldn't be the first person who's had a mount assembly malfunction, nor I suspect, would you be the LAST :shocked:

You caught it - now you know ;)

Regards,

skybsd

#14 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

a mount assembly malfunction

I like the term.

:) :) :)

#15 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:23 AM

Why do you have the saddle mounted to the G-11 head all the way to one end (as opposed to the middle, like you would normally see a saddle mounted)? To help with balancing?

#16 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

Why do you have the saddle mounted to the G-11 head all the way to one end (as opposed to the middle, like you would normally see a saddle mounted)? To help with balancing?

Yes, even with the Casady plate all the way forward, I only just reached balance. May have to use a tube weight. I have them back in NS but did not bring them with me to FL.

#17 Danno2006

Danno2006

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hey! You don't miss a trick. I was horrified when I saw that! Actually I wondered why my alignment seemed off two nights ago. I realigned but yesterday afternoon I too noticed that gap. I will be more attentive to those bolts from now on. I was close to disaster. :scared:

This likely happened when I removed the stock Losmondy saddle. The Allen bolts were so torqued I was afraid I was not going to be able to get them loose. There was much twisting and grabbing . . . even some pounding with a rubber mallet on the Allen key.

I am glad you found the issue before it caused major damage. I find my G11 can rotate away from the locked position - I check it every time I observe. I use the same knobs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics