• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hi guys.

As you know, I'm newly returned to observation with my new C14 and CGE Pro and I didn't have really use it yet to its real potential as I'm waiting spring time and warmer conditions to really explore the capacities.

But while waiting, I have a question for you. After each session, I turn off the mount aligned on north star as parking position. On the next session, I turn on the mount and the process make the mount to go to switch position prior to star tracking, local coordinates and last alignement.

If I'm on daytime and I want to find Venus or any other planet, how I can align the mount without a two or three stars alignment ??? I remarked to date everytime I use the last alignment option, the tracking is not accurate enough to find a planet on daytime and as there is nothing to do a new alignment, I can't find the planets. What's the trick ?

Andre.

#2 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Providing you 'Hibernate' the mount there is no problem.

#3 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

Gary.

What's the difference between hibernate and last alignment used ???

Andre.

#4 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Good question. Honestly I've never used Last Alignment, always just put the mount to sleep so to speak and it's been spot on! The manual may go in to the differences, but I'm heading out the door right now or I'd look and see.

#5 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

What I do is park the mount in the polar home position and power off. The mount's RTC is on. When I power back up, I just select last align in the HB. Good to go.

#6 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

You mean you let the power ON all the time ??? I have to try the hibernate function or let the power ON.

Also, from polar home position, I did a perfect polar align with the positioning screws. Polar is perfectly centered. But if I ask the RCT to find polar, its not that accurate, the mount doesn't return to home to center polar but try to use a different position from either side of the meridian. I find this very strange. I thought it would return to home.

Another question. Using astronomy software, all stars are catalogued HIP as the RTC is SAO. How I can find a specific faint star with HIP number ? Is there a way to enter coordinates in the RTC to point a specific object or star ? I tried to find that in the manual but didn't find.

Andre.

#7 Trev

Trev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort McMurray, AB

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Celestron doesn't use the HIP catalog. Available catalogs are SOA, Abell, IC, and Caldwell.

#8 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Trev.

Yes I know, but how to find a star if all the software give HIP number ???

I'm just back from my dome, I did a 4 stars align and put it on hibernate. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find venus during daytime.

Andre.

#9 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

No. I power off the mount after parking. I have the real time clock set to on in the HB so when I power back up, the mount knows the correct time and location. The last align then uses the last model built.

#10 swpaisley

swpaisley

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

I've not tried the "use last alignment" but when I have my scope on the back deck, I "hibernate" the scope and then I've been able to find planets in daylight. Esp nice for finding Mercury and Jupiter recently. :)

#11 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi.

I tried the hibernate and works fine. I use this feature in the future.

I also find how to enter coordinates to find faint objects as I can get the SAO number. But what its strange, using Stellarium coordinates doesn't correspond to the real ones once I'm centered on Venus or sun. I have to experiment this after a 2 to 4 stars align and see if it works.

Andre.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics