CGEM pier question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

So if I place the CGEM mount on a concrete pier, can I expect to get 10 more pounds of capacity or am I dreaming? :question:

Thanks.

#2 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

To both questions the answer is unfortunately no. The weight limitations are mainly based on the size of the mount, it's bearings, axles, gears,...

Extending the counterweight shaft may actually be worse than adding weight. A long shaft is more likely to bend and vibrate than a shorter one.

Greets,

Wouter.

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Mechanically the mount will support a small car. The bearings, axis and gears are certainly capable of supporting that very small increase in weight. Celestron has released a statement recently that says the increase in capacity of the DX is partially due to higher voltage supplied to the motors through updated electronics.

As far as the counterweight shaft goes, there are two camps of thought on that subject from the "Experts" here on CN. It just depends on which camp you want to pitch your tent in.

Stan

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

Okay, maybe that was the wrong question. How about this? Perhaps the weight capacity hasn't changed, but what about it's ability to do imaging? Has the pier increased the overall rigidity allowing the mount 30 pounds instead of 20 for imaging? Is that possible? :question:

#5 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

I image at very close to 30# from the tripod.?. Balance is very critical, but you can do it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics