•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My $15 Side By Side CGEM Modification

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

I fellow RASC member showed me the light, in that, how to fix my balance issue. My guidescope was piggybacked on top of my scope, making it very top heavy and I could not balance Dec dynamically, at all!

I went to "Metals R Us" (yes thats really the name) here in town and picked up a sheet of 1/4" thick x 13.5" Long x 12" Wide aluminium stock. I weights about 3 lbs, which I will cut some off later to lighten it a bit. This sheet cost $15 Canadian.

When I got home I picked up my trusty old broom (My wife seems to think I don't use it much). I set the guidescope on one end and the scope with all AP accessories mounted. I moved the two around to find the balance point on the broom stick handle. I marked this spot with a pencil and used a square to draw a line. This marks the centre spot for my D Series dovetail, I then marked the spots where the scope and guidescope mount will go and measured for the holes and started drilling. After which I discovered my math was off a bit for a few of the holes, no big deal just make new ones :)

After alls said and done I can now perfectly balance my scope with my guidescope. As you can see I will need a right angle finder! :|

Enjoy everyone!

Posted Image
Halifax-20110329-00073 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Posted Image
Halifax-20110329-00081 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Posted Image
Halifax-20110329-00080 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Posted Image
Halifax-20110329-00078 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Posted Image
Halifax-20110329-00075 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

#2 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

Sounds like a great idea.

One question, is there any flex? I would be concerned that 1/4" might not be thick enough.

#3 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

It was not easy to drill through and I don't see any flexing issues, yet.

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Let us know how it works...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics