• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JWalk

JWalk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

I'm getting the 1200 in May and was looking through the books of the 1200 and it seems a little scary compared to how easy the setup is with the CGEM. I'm looking forward to the new mount am worried about getting to know it. What can I expect from the new Mount upon arrival and getting setup for imaging? Thanks everyone.

Jimmy

#2 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

You can expect to be amazed at the quality when you unpack it. Then after the first time you image with it you will kick youself for not doing this sooner ;)

The set up is easy, and the keypad is straight forward with no confusing steps.

Enjoy!

#3 mariobmd

mariobmd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jackson, Ohio

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

I agree with Dean. The quality is amazing. I had no problem setting up my AP1200 for the first time on a permanent pier. The directions/instructions are the very best. I followed the basic polar alignment routine (using the park positions) and I was amazed how close it got me to the pole. PEMPRO got me really close afterwards. What surprised me is the PE of less than 1 w/o PEC! I had my AP1200 now going on the second year and guiding errors are the same at less than 0.1 RMS on both RA and DEC.

Regards,

#4 coz

coz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

I just ordered the 1200. Looking forward to it as well.

#5 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

The first time you use it, you may be a bit intimidated. Fear not. Within 1/2 hour, you will be amazed. You will never look at your CGEM in the same way again.

#6 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hmm? Moving from CGEM to AP1200. I've never seen it before. Are you getting a 14" RCOS RC for it?

#7 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Your biggest problem will be in retraining your observing habits. For instance, I used to just rest my hand on the focuser of my 7 inch F10 to tease out more details. On the 1200, the scope didn't move- AT ALL. Second, you'll have to stop worrying about how the mount will behave, because it won't be giving you issues.

The 1200 comes in 3 pieces. The base, the dec and the wiring. Heaviest piece (IIRC) is about 45 pounds.

I guess if you schlepp the mount in and out of your house the weight might get to you, or you'll be "Pumped" with huge arms. If it's an observatory, no problemo.

The AP1200 below is one of the Early AP1200DA. It is used on average over 1K hours/year. I now have the GOTO on this pier and this DA went on the second pier.

Attached Files

#8 JWalk

JWalk

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

No RCOS for me. I was just wondering if I was crazy for making this kind of jump. I've just been reading about getting it aligned for goto's and it seemed rather different than what I've been used to. I'm excited for the challenge. How robust are these mounts when left in the open with the proper all weather scope gaurd wrapped around it? I don't have a permanent setup and will want to leave up for a little while at a time. The guys at Anacortes said it would be fine but take off the electrtonics obviously.

#9 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

Here is my solution for short term set ups.
Field cover

#10 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

:)

Regards,

skybsd

#11 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

No RCOS for me. I was just wondering if I was crazy for making this kind of jump. I've

Frankly, it looks crazy to me. What scopes are you going to mount on the AP1200. The AP1200 is a total overkill for any telecopes you have been using with your CGEM.

#12 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

LLEEGE, Thats freakin awesome! I'm going to order a perm pier and give myself the option to stay setup at least for periods when I'm working on specific things. Only addition I might make is to replace the he SPA and Az bolts with those special keyed allen heads. Joe

#13 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

Frankly, it looks crazy to me. What scopes are you going to mount on the AP1200. The AP1200 is a total overkill for any telecopes you have been using with your CGEM.

The never ending chorus when anyone discusses the purchase of a mount, especially for imaging is a loud, synchronous "You can never have too much mount!! Buy the biggest mount you can afford!!" And now.....are we saying that someone has finally bought too much mount??

I remember at a star party awhile back watching a guy mount a TV85 on an AP900 to do wide field imaging. It seemed to handle the scope alright.

#14 JWalk

JWalk

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

The never ending chorus when anyone discusses the purchase of a mount, especially for imaging is a loud, synchronous "You can never have too much mount!! Buy the biggest mount you can afford!!" And now.....are we saying that someone has finally bought too much mount??

I remember at a star party awhile back watching a guy mount a TV85 on an AP900 to do wide field imaging. It seemed to handle the scope alright.

Thanks! I can afford it and you never know what the next scope will be. I was told this was the last mount I would buy. I've been looking at getting the FSQ 106. I actually got to hold one today and it was a lot bigger than I realized. I've recently acquired a Borg 60 guider scope as well. A big RC would be fun but I just don't have space for a permanent setup. But seriously, how about leaving it out over night?

#15 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

"I remember at a star party awhile back watching a guy mount a TV85 on an AP900 to do wide field imaging. It seemed to handle the scope alright."

:jump:

#16 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thanks! I can afford it and you never know what the next scope will be. I was told this was the last mount I would buy. I've been looking at getting the FSQ 106. I actually got to hold one today and it was a lot bigger than I realized. I've recently acquired a Borg 60 guider scope as well. A big RC would be fun but I just don't have space for a permanent setup. But seriously, how about leaving it out over night?

Wow! You don't know what your are doing. Talk to AP.

#17 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

Leaving the mount out overnight, or even for several nights in a row, is no problem. Mounts are actually intended to be used outdoors! I'm sure AP even anticipates that they might get wet with dew. People at star parties typically leave their mounts set up for the duration, generally covering them at night, though even that isn't really necessary unless you're expecting rain. Enjoy your magnificent mount, put any telescope you want on it, and ignore the alien puppet trolls.

#18 JWalk

JWalk

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

I've never thought about the mount being intended for outdoor use. Kind of silly. I'm sure they have taken precautions. Thanks for the help. I will call AP and talk with them about it. Thanks Alph from Melmac.

#19 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

Nice purchase! And unless you're downsizing, this may very well be the last mount you'll need. Great performance, lots of capacity...what's not to like?

David

#20 mariobmd

mariobmd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jackson, Ohio

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

I think you are making the right decision as long as you can afford it. I have used a FSQ106 on my AP1200. No sweat at all. Over mounted? Yes! But the results speaks for itself. I frequently change scopes and my AP1200 so far is the longest gear that I have kept. I don't have to worry about what scope can the mount handle. I have room to "grow" as far as scope selection.

regards,

#21 MikeCatfin

MikeCatfin

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

Congratulations on an excellent purchase! If I had the means to afford one, I would, regardless of what scope I would place on it. I too would view it as "the last mount".

#22 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

I've never thought about the mount being intended for outdoor use. Kind of silly. I'm sure they have taken precautions. Thanks for the help. I will call AP and talk with them about it. Thanks Alph from Melmac.

Here are some AP mounts being used in Antarctica:

AP mounts in Antarctica

and here is one slewing at -73 degrees:

AP mount slewing at -73 degrees

#23 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:42 AM

It hardly ever precipitates in antarctica. It's one of the top driest places on Earth!

I think a telegizmos 365 cover will be fine. You can remove the $1000 replacement CPO board with 2 screws and of course take the $1000 keypad with you inside when you are done for the night.

#24 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

Polar alignment must be a B*#tch to set. Alt is straight up but if you move an inch in any direction it's like 4 degrees in Az :p Final Az adjustment include harsh language and a good hard blow at the screws..
Joe

#25 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

My AP1200 makes a whine below about -25F. Usually a terrible burst of whiny noise for about 15 seconds and then it goes back to normal noise. Scares you, though Roland said dont worry about it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics